IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stop at the "hole" on the way home.. theres 4 or 5 guys there fishing.

One guy with his girlfriend is fishing upriver a bit, hooks and lands a fish and tosses it in the trunk of his car. Runs back and throws his line out again. About 30 minutes later one of his buddies shows up and apparently trades some pot and beer for the fish. Fish comes out of the trunk and into the back of a truck and away it goes. Im thinking "is this fish going to be tagged by someone"?

Another 30 minutes goes by and the guy hooks #2. Into the trunk it goes, but Im keeping a closer eye this time..no tag is filled out, and the line goes back in the water!
The girlfriend takes off in the car and returns a few minutes later, obviously the fish was dropped off somewhere.

I was getting a little irritated because the others didnt even bat an eye at the little game that was going on so I ask them if they realize what regs were being violated. Nobody knew even though we all sat there and watched the guy land two fish and continue fishing anyway. So I tell them and of course they ask "what happens if he gets caught" I respond "not enough if you ask me"

So the dilemna. I am often the only other guy in the hole fishing when this "other" guy is there, and hes a big neanderthal lookin fella, not at all educated who appears to be the type of guy who would settle the score of being turned in by kickin some ass. He never says a word, and if he does its to his girlfriend or his young son and its never anything real nice. ("shut up" "get me a beer" etc)

Its not difficult to assume there are some people here who would blow it off and not worry about turning the guy in, I doubt theres not a person 2 here who would do the same thing even. I hate to make life any more miserable for this guy (and his kid) who is obviously struggling with finances, drinking/drugs, and dysfunctional issues, but this type of crap need to stop. I'm not on a mission to get this guy busted, but I think the issue needs to be addressed somehow.

Would I be doing an injustice by simply telling a game officer to have a word with him (and tell the officer what I witnessed) in hopes that the guy will change his ways if for no other reason than a fear of being busted?? Or should I just turn him in plain and simple?

On a side note, I hooked and landed a legit unusually large hatchery hen, and the guy came over to look when I finally got it to shore...I snapped it off with my plyers and let it swim away. The guy mumbled something and stomped off. I hope its still eating at him that I let this one go.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
WOW :shocked: Maybe I'm being alltruistic but I don't see a delimma at all. This guy is POACHING!!!!!! fish. I do not have the hotline number here at my computer (it's posted here somewhere if you need it) but he should be turned in as fast as you can dial the number!!!! If you are worried about him knowing it's you, make the call later with a license plate number, time of day ect. and they will be watching.

I don't know about making life harder on this guy but I know I have a hard life and I try to follow the rules.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have witnessed similar episodes and have asked myself the same questions about making the guy's and especially the kid's lives even more miserable. But, it all boils down to breaking the law and potentially spoiling fishing for all of us. You don't need to confront the guy. Just call the police and let them do the rest. People like this generally have no regard for the law and certainly none for the welfare of the fish and the future of the fish. The fish mean too much to me to let some guy ruin it for the rest of us. Don't hesitate, turn him in. It's not your fault that he is making a bad decision.
FF

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Like Fishfinder said.

And, furthermore, by exposing his kids to illegal deeds he's being an extremely poor parent and more likely than not, raising the next generation of poachers.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I'm not on a mission to get this guy busted, but I think the issue needs to be addressed somehow.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Why wouldn't you be on a mission to get this guy busted? He's poaching, stealing from all the anglers who do follow the laws, helping to destroy the resouce. I have encountered this type of behavior in the field and if I don't want to run the risk of dental rearrangement by confronting the scum I leave the river and call the cops. I also offer my name and volunteer to serve as a witness.

If everybody keeps looking the other way and avoiding potential conflicts with the dopers and crooks, or waits for somebody else to gt involved, we might as well just give these dregs a deed to society and stay hidden in our darkened houses.

Whoa! Too much caffiene! If that sounds like I'm implying something snotty about Row V,it isn't supposed to. I am just SO ****** sick of predatory human crud... :mad:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Your question regarding more possible trouble is a good one. My brother-in-law hassled two guys breaking the law near his cabin. He turned them in. The following Wednesday night he got a call from the sheriffs office telling him his cabin had burned to the ground. Now try to prove who did the deed.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
I think everyone has run into this situation a few times. In the back of my mind I wonder where
the police are. The last time I was on Eagle creek Everyone there practically was snagging.
Red and black Coho all over the bank. I asked a guy " What are you going to do with all those fish " He says " Take them home and eatem " Man ! Those are some skanky looking fish. I was trying my bobber and egg set up but with all the snaggers it is really hard to get into some biters. I always think that I would love to be there when the OSP is there, but my days of calling or confronting these guys is over. When you see a guy pull a gun out you will realize how much potential there is for bad things to happen. One guy among dozens of Snaggers is pretty bad odds.
Calling the police has had some bad consequences also, like in the police mentioned that someone
had called them in, Well it didn't take much for them to figure out who it was. I believe the best possible thing we could do as sportsman is try to show these people how to catch these fish legally and try to convince them that Coho will take bait legally. However some guys prefere to snag no matter what. There just aren't enough police to go around to patrol it all. What I hate worst than anything is to be in a hole catching fish on bobber and eggs and then have a swarm
of snaggers come in and rip the hole and agitate the fish. This happens to me all the time on my friend private stretch on Eagle creek. I just hope none of you guys get hurt trying to deal with these characters. Don't mean to sound like a chicken but be careful who you are up against.
I have looked down the barrel of a pistol before and that was at Casedaro over a lousy fish.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Don't put yourself at risk physically over a fish, but don't just stand there and watch these slimeballs break the law. Get a licence plate, physical description, location, go to a pay phone, or used a cell phone and bust these jerks!!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Abalone, trying to show these clods the right way and moral way to fish is an act of futility. We cannot take the passive approach to this kind of stuff. Carry a cell phone and make a call to the authorities. Confrontation probably isnt a good idea but sitting idly by while a poacher blatantly steals fish is perpetuating the crime. I have heard hundreds of stories about "Joe Snagger" poaching fish in front of half a dozen bystanders and no one doing a thing about it but bit--ing under their breath. It's why these turds get away with it and it's why these turds do it in broad daylight with witnesses in plain view. A phone call to the poacher hotline may not result in a game officer appearing that day, BUT if more people called in then certain patterns would appear in certain areas and eventually we would end up with more police presence in those areas where snagging is rampant.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Would you feel the same way if, say,.... HE WAS STEALING YOUR TV! Make the call!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Depends on how much I liked the TV.

Nuttinbutnet would probably drown the guy to avoid running up his cell phone bill. :grin:

Just kidding. Doug, you should call him in. Ask the police not to divulge how they found him.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Oregon TIPS

Turn In Poachers
--------------------------------------------------

The Turn-In-Poachers program was established by the Oregon State Police in cooperation with the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife and the Oregon Hunters Association. To report a fish or game law violation call the Oregon State Police dispatch at 1-800-452-7888. This number is staffed at all times.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
You just have to be very careful in any situation these days. Guys and gals carry concealed weapons of all types. A lot of friends have concealed weapon permits. Confronting a law breaker can cost you your life. Be aware of everyting. Jot down notes, plate numbers, date and time of day and how many where in that particular place at that one time. Be precise in your notes. Contact the police and tell them you have complete descriptions and a detailed event log of what you witnessed. That you will testify. It is sad that this happens all to often these days. Common sense and polite attitudes seem to have gone by the wayside. As I grow older I see resources wasted and people who could care less about that waste each and everyday. We all have to do out part so that those who step over the line continually get apprehended and have to finally pay the price.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My initial post may not be clear enough, I INTEND to do something about it, Im just not sure of the right approach because of not only a fear of this guy and his redneck buddies figuring out it was me. (I was showing everyone except him how to rig, where the channel is, and how to tie eggloops so it wouldnt take a MENSA panel to figure out I was likely the guy who knows and supports the law) These guys finding some sort of vengful way to retaliate is not something I will rush into without a little thought, I like living here and fishing here.

The post was a question in an effort to reinforce a decision. I'm not unclear about what Wilfred Brimley would do and the suggestions are appreciated when they're offered from those who put themselves in my position.

(It would take three people to drown this guy.)

Jim, Ive been burned with that approach in the past. "Dont tell themn it was me" two days later: "why'd you rat me out?" But its likely all I can do. I will talk to the game officer today.

·
Registered
10,519 Posts
I'd call the gamie, and tell him just what you told us. I suspect that they will know how to manage the situation.

Something that people forget is this. If the officer talks to the 'gentleman', and then the gentleman subsequently threatens you, that is assault. That is a felony, and it will be a felony committed by a guy whom the officer probably just got the name of. So, while you might get roughed up, if that happens, return the call to the gamie, and the gentleman will likely get some time in the pokey.

But most likely, you could just tell the officer when the guy is usually there, and the officer will likely just wander by.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
This brings up another question I've wondered about. Does a game officer actaully have to witness a violation or can a citizens' testimony alone be enough to convict?

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
No ! You can make a report, act as a witness and the guy can be charged. I would love it if a group fisherman went out together and busted snaggers, trash throwers and otherwise outdoor slobs that make it difficult for legit angler to fish. Maybe even clean up litter on private property and develope good relationships with land owners. When I go camping with my brother I always have to listen to him tell me what slobs fisherman are for leaving trash all over the place. I can't get it threw his head that not ALL of us are like that. Lets face it, a few jerks are out there making
things hard for us. Maybe we can do something about it and police it ourselfs. There really isn't enough game enforcement out there. There are hundreds of miles of river bank in N.W. Oregon alone and I believe there are less than 50 OSP in the whole state. That's game enforcement. One guy is too risky by himself but five or more fisherman confronting these slobs would be something else. I would wager the whole state would be open for fishing and hunting if it weren't for those few who mess it up.
I have confronted people before like this for messing up the beach at Bob Straub park. If you approach them correctly they will listen. They spent the whole night hot rodding the dunes and
throw beer bottle and can all over the place. Me and about Seven other guys, brothers and friends went over and explained the situation the them. They gladely picked up their mess and left. Some people just don't understand because no one ever told them the rules before.

Or just learn to ignore it ! That's what I do after reporting things to the police I don't know how many times.

Has anyone ever called the police about a Snagger or a poacher and know for a fact someone got a ticket. I have called and it has never done any good that I am aware of. The police usually want more info than I can give. This is why people lock up their land, the police don't always come, they have more serious things to deal with. I is a hell of a deal but that's the way it is.

[ 08-22-2003, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Abalone ]

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Guys, the only way the gamie or sheriff can cite the guy is if he is caught red handed. I dont believe that retaining a snagged fish is classified as a crime. It is a "violation" (one that has a high fine though) Violation's can only be enforced if the officer sees the action or catches the guy with a nate etc.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts