IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone plunk the Columbia for coho at all?
ive seen lots of info for plunking the Columbia for summer steelhead, sockeye, springers and summer/fall chinook. But I’ve never seen much for coho. I got more into plunking these last couple years and was just curious if people do it or do they focus more on the tribs.
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
891 Posts
We have absolutely smashed Coho from the beach plunking brads super baits or anchovies.
It is a lot of fun and and most were hooked very close to shore.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info!
If the prediction shows up then I don’t think timing would be an issue. It’s just finding the right traveling lanes. Do they prefer deeper water like chinook or do they prefer shallower water like steelhead?

·
Registered
retired
232 Posts
When I was younger I tried to figure this out. Spent a good deal of time and never did. My theory is when it finally rains they move in mass and I never was there. I've caught the crap out of them in Alaska.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agreed if it’s a normal year of coho. But in 2014 the run started in august and never stopped until mid January. I think when they have that many fish they’ll just push each other and don’t care about the rain.
this year they are predicting almost double what was in 2014. Now I’m sure the return wont be anywhere close what they are predicting lol but even if we get half it will be an amazing year.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Agreed if it’s a normal year of coho. But in 2014 the run started in august and never stopped until mid January. I think when they have that many fish they’ll just push each other and don’t care about the rain.
this year they are predicting almost double what was in 2014. Now I’m sure the return wont be anywhere close what they are predicting lol but even if we get half it will be an amazing year.
Now you got all of our feelings going. 2014 was something else, remember when we used to catch and release coho because we wanted to keep fishing? what a time to be alive that was.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I agree. 2014 was a year to remember for coho. The limit was 6 adults per day. And we were getting 6 adults per day. Sometimes within an hour.......

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hahaha yes! 2014 was a year to remember for sure!!! I’ll surely never forget it!
And yes! We’d be releasing fish all day just keep fishing.
And the river I fish on was completely loaded full of big chrome coho all the way until mid January. It was a blast! If you didn’t have your 6 fish in 10 casts or less you were doing something wrong lol
if this year is just half as good as 2014 it will be a banner year!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts