IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We all know that we have a plastic problem in our water especially in the oceans. So why is ODOT working so hard to add to the problem? That polymer thermal product used for highway road marking of centerline, shoulders, stop bars, and directional arrows breakdown into small particles we all see this time of year. It's that white and yellow sprinkles seen along roads. They wash off into drainage systems then move downstream. I think it's time a push should be made to get highway departments to stop using plastics. Even if we stop it now the problem will continue for years.

Reactions: ccw and Revulshawn

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The new debris are face masks. See them every where.
Another item they could have been more smart with are those little coffee pods used to make one cup of coffee.
When you start looking around at we use everyday and compare it with what we had 20 years ago you realize for convenience we are sacrificing our environment. I try to use products that try to do the right thing, such as those SF coffee pods that compost out and use masks of either cotton or a natural fiber. But after those two it become difficult, just look at the stupid packaging products come in now. We have a small say one inch long product thermal wrapped into hard plastic 6 inches by 4 inches so it will standout to the buyer off the shelf. A good example of this is when I bought a new SD card it came in a huge plastic then another paper layer over that. The plastic is so tough and thick you nearly need a skill saw to get to the item your buying. I wish people just would take a minute and make their buying choice based on more than price, but think about the waste the product manufacturer is asking us to dispose.

Reactions: Uncle Roman

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
We all know that we have a plastic problem in our water especially in the oceans. So why is ODOT working so hard to add to the problem? That polymer thermal product used for highway road marking of centerline, shoulders, stop bars, and directional arrows breakdown into small particles we all see this time of year.It's that white and yellow sprinkles along roads. They wash off into drainage systems then move downstream. I think it's time a push should be made to get highway departments to stop using plastics. Even if we stop it now the problem will continue for years.
This is putting the coatings and resins industry in a vise with no good answers.
DOTs the world over want and need markings and striping that survive the harshest conditions, adhere extremely well to the surfaces they're applied to, and survive a long time while under attack from UV rays, huge heat and cold variations, chemical exposure and the friction of being run over by 40 ton rigs.

Asking for one that breaks down into an environmentally safe by-product at the end of its useful life is antithetical to everything it's designed to be while its employed keeping drivers safe on the roads.

Or, we could let them use an organic substance that breaks down easily, and pay them to repaint ALL the road striping every 3-6 months.

Decisions decisions

·
Registered
40,572 Posts
I drove out of Hillsboro yesterday through Jackson Bottom Slough and the west side of the highway was solid plastic floating in the trees. Disgusting.

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is putting the coatings and resins industry in a vise with no good answers.
DOTs the world over want and need markings and striping that survive the harshest conditions, adhere extremely well to the surfaces they're applied to, and survive a long time while under attack from UV rays, huge heat and cold variations, chemical exposure and the friction of being run over by 40 ton rigs.

Asking for one that breaks down into an environmentally safe by-product at the end of its useful life is antithetical to everything it's designed to be while its employed keeping drivers safe on the roads.

Or, we could let them use an organic substance that breaks down easily, and pay them to repaint ALL the road striping every 3-6 months.

Decisions decisions
ODOT seems to be the big user of thermal markings while other agencies and states such as Washington remain using low VOC paints. Everyone of my projects have used paint except for cross walks and directional arrows. I'm not a fan of using thermal coatings even in these locations as the products create a very slick surface once the shattered glass beads wear out. The problem with low VOC paint is two part, it needs to be re applied yearly and its reflectivity is good initially but when the glass beads are lost its not very reflective. Another substitute is using recessed pavement markers, expensive to install but will last for years. The problem is even these will require replacement and being recessed I'm not sure of how costly these could be over a long period.
There is a safety issue connected with thermal stripping that ODOT wants to ignore yet other states have considered that of the motorcyclist. When you install double yellow centerline and go to 6 inch width those strips like the crosswalks become slippery as ice when wet. So picture a biker hauling butt around a curve, leaning into the curve and drifting onto that slick wet stripe. You know the answer its loss of control and likely laying the bike down. Its a juggling act between thermal and paint I know but I've never seen paint particles along the road but this time of year I see truck loads of thermal.

·
Registered
tuners, steeltrouts, lings, anything goes
2,016 Posts
One thing I'm very surprised to see a LOT of in the fishing/outdoor community: single-use, plastic bottled water. Guys pick up a flat at Costco, take them fishing, and I end up picking them up out on the ocean when I'm fishing.

More boats should employ a "no plastic bottled water" rule. It's incredibly wasteful, and a LOT of those things end up in the water.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
This reminds me of the insistence on having biodegradable plastic milk jugs and other plastic containers from a few years ago.
Yes, they break down (especially with UV exposure), but eventually their material breaks down into the micro particles that we're now finding in everything from our water to our kidneys.

Getting resins to return to their parent chemical under environmental conditions isn't going to happen. Our waste disposal companies don't even want plastics for recycling any longer.
Envisioning a world without plastics at this point is a fool's errand.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
This is a massive undertaking and should have been started many years ago. In fact plastics should have been controlled with an idea in mind. Just like dams the problems that may occur were never thought out before the product was produced. Now we have a problem and no Government is will to step in and do something. Ours probably doesn't even know there is a problem. I support groups that are out there doing what they can to save our oceans and reduce plastics. Not only supporting them but also watching what I use. My wife ordered this on line and she is a stickler with her laundry. Packaging is paper. Save the earth one small step at a time.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
My old man was a contractor. The swing a hammer type, a true old school carpenter. I grew up in a pickup truck on job sites. As a result of that I got to spend A LOT of time at south metro transfer station as a young boy and still to this day I’m there constantly. The increase in the volume of garbage this place now handles vs 30 years ago is insane.

I’ve always though that public schools should be required to take children on field trips to metro south or any other transfer station or land fill. When you see the impact first hand it gives you some perspective. We’re gunna drown in garbage before we drown in salt water. Objects made with plastic we own are all single use in a way. Even if it sits in your attic for your whole life, you don’t take it with you when you die. Anyone still using a brick phone? Still watching the same first TV you bought? Still usin the same piece of floss? Even if you are, eventually it’ll be in a land fill.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Cathunter that is a simple fix. I just can't see a single mother with 3 kids worrying about what her washing machine filters out. Like the filter making company said they are hoping to partner with washing machine makers to have these a permanent part of the machine. I know no more Government intervention but this is the time for our Government to step up and help out. This should be made a priority to have a filter system in place.
I also pull up sorting our recycling and that is interesting. I think they say 7 tons and hour.

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For my part I'm writing an objection letter to ODOT for whatever good it might do and remind them that they are adding to the plastic problem in a big way. Another letter will be going to Jeff Bezos and Craig Jelinek of Costco asking that they convince manufactures to strive for packaging that will compost and if not minimize plastic packaging. If we all took a few minutes and spent a few cents in postage you never know what might happen, but doing zero always produces zero results.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Some of the excessive packaging seen at the retail level is, in part, to make it harder to shoplift certain items. I always amazed at the plastic packaging used by Costco.
This one bothers me greatly as I have deliveries on a daily basis for my company. Over and over again I will receive boxes 2-4 times the size of the item being delivered and stuffed full of packaging. Where I live, recycling this volume of materials is tough as we don't have a large scale setup and it takes a significant amount of time to process everything and get into the proper containers. In addition we don't have recycling for any of the plastic materials. The amount of waste we generate really bothers me but I also am not smart enough to offer any solutions....

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
The cost of disposing of trash is generally paid by the consumer or end user of the item, If the cost of disposing of excess packaging, disposable plastics, etc was paid by the producer you'd see a lot less of it produced in the first place.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
It is a mega problem enveloping everyone, every company and every Government. Organizations like 4Ocean picks at the top layer but as they do this the out pouring is more than what is taken in. We need to develop and whole new train of thought on what is good for the world and what we can do to lessen that bad stuff we have to deal with. Like lithium batteries, which are here to stay but look out they are bad. It is to bad that the only way you can make companies more responsible is to hit them where it hurts, $$$$$$$$. But this needs to be a group effort and needs to happen as quickly as it can.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
The pollution in our oceans and across our lands can not be stopped by just one country doing the right thing. Yes, we can slow down how Americans pollute, but not the world.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts