IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for insight on a good place to fish for Springers in the Southwest Washingotn, Portland Oregon area with a 16 ft driftboat with a 8hp kicker.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Aslo, we would be looking at anchoring up and fishing with qwikies.

Thanks,

Zueth :cheers:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hey Zeuth! So you want to wander around for springers in one of the worlds greatest sails.(aka a drift boat!) Well my amigo and I have been doing it for about sixteen years now. You can go to just about any of the local boat ramps, dump it in and go get them. We fish the O.C.area a lot,mostly above the I-205 bridge where you'll find the "Lake Line" and "Sand Bar". The "Garbage Hole" is right below that down stream from the bridge. You can either hog line or back troll in that area, but pay attention to what the other anglers are doing.
You can go to the boat ramp at Washougal and fish off the mouth of the Sandy if river is open above the I-5 bridge, or put in on the Oregon side at Chinook landing and head down stream. There are quite a few hog lines in that area. Try putting in at Cathedral Park in beautiful St.Johns, and head down stream to the confluence of the Willi and Mult. Channel. Troll in that area.
Another launch is at the Jefferson St. ramp in lovely downtown Milwaukie. You can troll along the shoals there or head down stream toward the Sellwood bridge, Or put in at Criscraft on the west side of the Sellwood bridge,I think they still have a ramp, but I'm not positive. :shrug:
Those are a few places to try. We've been to all of them at one time or another, it just takes us half the day to get there in our boat the HMS Plow. I guess it depends on how long a run yo want to make. Hope this helps, let me know if you do any good where ever you go, Have fun!! Good luck,tight lines and big fish!!! :grin:

·
Registered
10,765 Posts
Port of Kalama, then either downriver to the mouth of the Kalama, or straight across to the island. You'll see the boats. You can fish anywhere along the shelf on the side of the island, plenty of room in the worst of times. Plenty of fish, too. The guides tend to cluster at the top and the bottom of the island.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I fish out of St. Helen's with the Big Blue Eastside. It is an 18'er and I only have a 5 horse kicker. Have done well out there trolling "Smurfs" (Cured Blue Herring) Was out there last Saturday til the wind started to howl. I will be back down for "Springertilla". I have also put in at Pekins Ferry on the Lewis, but that is quite a run.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies :smile: stil trying ot decide where to go this weekend....anybody have any more input?

Silver Hilton,

How long does it take to get out to the hog line from the put in?

Thanks!

[ 04-10-2003, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: zueth ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.