IFish.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went in search of the wily pikeminnow this morning in the Sandy/Sundial area. Not what I'd call a banner day.
2 ********* (plus 1 shaker), 2 shaker sturgeon in the 30" range, and about 900 peamouths. :hoboy: The fish checker said there were 45 turned in before we launched at 9 am. That check station is only open about 3 hours a day, so I'd bet those fish were caught the day before. :shrug:
At least it was a nice day. No wind, no rain, and only about 10 rigs in the parking lot at Chinook. And we caught enough fish to pay the ramp fee and for donuts. :smile:

·
Registered
603 Posts
According to my source ( Mr Muck) It may be earley as the water hasn't warmed enough in the lower rivers for *********
but is just right for Peamouth.

Sounds like he may be on track.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it needs to get up in to the 60's before the ********* go on the spawn and start attacking everything that moves.
I like that pic. That pikeminnow is huge!! :shocked:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Do you know that those things are classified as gamefish in the Washington regs??

Very curious.

·
Registered
980 Posts
That big pikeminnow looks like the big one I watched my brother take one day: scarred here and there, had only one remaining eye, had a big smolt only halfway down its gullet, seemed to be saying "Arrgh!" and was wearing an Oakland Raiders jersey. :wink:

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
A few questions...

How much do you get for these pikeminnow and what do they look like? If the picture in the above post is a big one what is the average size you catch. Is this a "bounty" senario?

Just curious...thanks :shrug:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
A nine inch fish is all you need to get the money. The one above is a monster. The big ones like that are fun to fight on light action rods. Most fish caught will average 12 inches (in my experience).

A lot of information on reward $ and techniques is available on the web at www.pikeminnow.org

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
While fishing for shad on the Willamete last weekend in the OC area, we caught several pikeminnows in the 12in range. Sent them belly up down the river for the seagulls to enjoy. :grin:

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BH,

Made another attempt on Sun. but only got 2 undersized fish. We talked to another guy who got there before us and he had 7, all on chicken livers. We headed upriver to look for new water, but the crowd of shad fishermen across the river got our attention. We pulled in to check things out, and wound up spending the rest of the day shad fishing. Water is still too cold, IMHO. And too high. :depressed:
I just got off the phone with my pikeminnow partner who spent this AM below Bonny. He only got 2, but he said one of them was bigger than any of the shad we got on Sun. And we got some big shad! :shocked: (They should pay extra for those).
He also said our zipperlip bank spot is under water (again). :depressed: Bummer.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Hey 1pump!

What's the word? Is it picking up yet? I won't be able to get out until June, but I was wondering if the warming water was helping...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts