IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
6,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been so busy this summer that I haven't had a chance to download my camera at all. With a new computer, and deletion of my web gallery it just hasn't been as easy to find the time to do so. But of course this was the BIG weekend for the summer to me. The culmination of another year of work, and the end of one week of solid stress. So here are some of the Nalu pics on the water.

I was just happy to get on the water. The Sea-J has had an engine problem for almost 2 weeks, and it was touch and go if I could fish my boat at all. I was honestly just happy that I could make it to the start and sit in the lineup with everyone else. What a great feeling....the anticipation, the tension, the camaraderie with those you have worked with to put such an event together. Awesome!

Here's Team Seelicious of the the Clan Grady White.

And then of course you have Tuna Time, also of Clan Grady White
, with the Beer Waggin in the background.

Then of course off in the distance you have the Striper Clan....... Team Time Out, Team Triple C, and Team Good News.......

After the start we ran easy out to the fishing grounds. We started just about last and made out to the 20 line where we put the gear in the water at a decent looking rip. We trolled and trolled, and heard other people starting to hookup......and nothing....and then it happened! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! The short rod with one of the Archer Bars started peeling line like no tomorrow. 5-Salt grabbed the rod and told me it was slowing down. Into neutral, and still the line was stripping off like no tomorrow. Mr. Big???!!!! It was no Albie, that was for sure. Then it slowed and stopped. On the surface. Huh? After rounding on the fish and getting it close to the boat, our guesses were confirmed....Mola-Mola foul hooked right by the tail...

After a couple of attempts I was able to twist and pop the hooks free. Once again, another good reason for barbless hooks.

We trolled awhile longer and hooked another fish.....which came off at the boat. Still empty. Finally we hooked another troll fish, then a 2nd. Got those in the boat and started feeling like we might end up getting those 5 fish we needed. About 10 minutes later we spot jumpers......We track them down, slide into them, and I run to the bow to start casting to them....FISH ON! After that we pretty much just spotted and cast the rest of the day. Halfway through we brought all the troll gear in between jumpers, put the outrigger up, and just motored around looking for fish.

Here's my father-in-law Dave with his first ever tuna on a spinning rod....a G Loomis 963 with a Daiwa Black Gold 30.

Next is my wife Heather with her first ever tuna on light tackle, with her dad netting......

Here's one from the starboard side with Heather showing her netting form....

The only picture I got of Calvin (5 Salt Fever) on a fish was this mediocre one.....He just hooked up again on the Loomis 844 with a Daiwa Saltist 30.....

And of course yours truly actually got to land a few.

At 1:00pm we called it good after a nice 40 minute casting stop and headed towards home at the leisurely pace of 21 knots.

5-Salt was kind enough to take the picture of 3 out of the 4 of Team Nalu Charters. 22 fish total and 8th place. It was all a bonus as I was just glad I was able to fish in my own boat.

And here's the official team photo....

We had a great time, and once again I would like to thank all of the participants, volunteers, and my fellow board members for making this such a great event. I know I might be a bit jaded, but I think this is far and away the best tourney in the Northwest of any type.

Thank you all!

· Registered
5,771 Posts
Bud, I'm disappointed. I see a two rod holders on the stern - both port and starboard side - that could have held 2 more rods. Those 53rd and 54th rods could have been the difference between 12th place and 1st. :laugh:
Just not in the cards for us on this leg...casting gear up front...troll gear & live bait in the back...how can you go out with less? :)

I've got some pictures of the Sea J that show just as many rods sticking out!

· Registered
6,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
If anyone has pictures from the OTC- Just post them here!

I don't have any of the Sea-J from another boat, so that would be cool Brian.

· Registered
811 Posts
Team EFISHINSEA had a great time. It was our first real gut check with picky fish. We squeaked out 4 fish then our 5th fish was the the "one". The first Bluefin we've ever caught - We were so stoked!. We then were able to add a couple more albies for a total of 7. Just like the Hammond Leg, we couldn't find the larger grade - just the smaller size. Thank to Marlin Mike & Cornfed for being a great crew. We met some other Ifishers and put some faces to some names. The water was predicted to be bad, but ended up being very nice.

We turned in the Bluefin as one of our 5 biggest fish. Thankfully they gave it back and let us turn in a alby so we could eat the bluefin. Yumm!

Tower Todd

Bluefin Baby! (marlin Mike & Cornfed Pictured)

· Registered
Saltwater
3,666 Posts
Here ya go, Mike. You were in sight the most, so you were the only boat I got many pics of...

Here's Beer Wagon...Blurry...Beer...Kinda goes hand-in-hand~
I just kinda liked the way this one looked...

K, this one is a little more still, after some light helped still the shot.

Here's a couple better shots of ya, Mike.

I like the spray coming off of this one.

And finally, the rest of the crew.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.