IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
41,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A public service message from the people at Ifish:

Please start by reading the material at http://ifish.net/cgi-local/upload.cgi ... what follows is supplemental.

With your image sized properly and located in an appropriate directory on YOUR computer, you can copy your picture to the Ifish server.

FIRST open the picture upload utility.

SECOND when the page opens, scroll down to this dialog box.

After you fill in the boxes, click "UPLOAD". When the page has finished refreshing, scroll down again and see that your image or the place-holder is at the top of the list. The image is now copied to the Ifish server.

THIRD when you find your image, click the panel to open your image in a new window.

FOURTH from the window that opens with your picture in it, copy the address of your image.

FIFTH Now it's time to post your picture on the discussion board. Start a new thread or reply to an existing thread. With the dialog box open, go to the button below and click "IMAGE".

SIXTH Paste the address you copied in step 4 into the address box that openned up, then click "OK". Finish any typing and then click "Add New Topic". You should see your picture in the post you just made.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Pete,

I had a real problem uploading a pic when I first tried. I emailed Jennie a couple times and this is what she emailed me:

If you try to upload and it fails, because of size, or file name, or the
path is too long, or whatever, if you try again, you need to rename the
file something else.

Jen

Path is too long was the problem. I upgraded to XP and I set my PC up for two users. So the path looks like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Dan Dettmann\My Documents\Surf Fishing\Austin.JPG

Even if I take the pic out of my surfishing folder and place it in my doc's, the path is too long. You see the path contains my name (XP thing). However if I put the pic on my desktop it uploads just fine. I suggested that to another ifisher one night on ifish community and it solved the problem for him also.

This works:

C:\Documents and Settings\Dan Dettmann\Desktop\Austin.JPG

I see it does say in the instructions; " Make sure the path is not too long." I missed that part and found out it means what it says.

Dan

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Hey thanks geek. But how do you save the image to the root of the C drive? I'm still fairly new at this. I put them in folders so as I can hopefully find them at a later date. (Lot's of pic's).It is kind of a hassle to to send them to the desktop each time I want to upload but that is the only way I have been sucessful so far.

Dan

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
When you go to the "Save As" option you will see a drop-down list towards the top of the window. Click on it to get it to drop down, and find the C drive. Click on that, and that's the root of C.

Of course, if you've got it working on your Desktop, stick with that. No need to add complexities when they aren't needed.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Thanks Geek. I think I would rather save it to root of C drive. I think that would be better than the destop. I will try it next time and create a ifish folder on drive C and see if that works.

Dan

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
If I could make a suggestion regarding uploads and resizing, this has been very easy for me to do.

Most people here use some version of windows OS which includes "paint"

If you copy and paste an image to paint, you will see a drop down menu at the top called "Image" ...click it and select "stretch/scew" and reduce your image by whatever percentage you feel is adequate (reduces the file size too) Save the new file to your floppy drive, and simply name it a short name..IE: A:\fish.jpg
(Be sure to save it as a JPEG or JPG file format) and viola..upload from your floppy.
never had any trouble.

·
Administrator
41,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
another point ... the extention "jpg", should not be capitalized.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Hate to appear arguementative, but "paint" handles JPEG and JPG files just fine. Whatever format your picture is, paint will save it as a JPG file if you tell it to. Most of my saved images have been edited with paint somehow, and saved in JPG format. I use XP, im not positive, but earlier versions of MS paint may be limited to bmp.

Pete. JPEG and JPG are two that should be capitalized along with GIF and JFIF.
Bitmap images are saved in lower case ("bmp" "dib" etc).

If either of you use windows and have paint installed, give it a shot.
Paste a photo to paint, click on the "image" drop down menu, and select "stretch/scew". Options will appear to reduce the image by a percentage both vertically and horizontally. Adjust the image size and then click "file"..."save as" send it to your floppy drive as a JPG file. Your original remains unchanged, and the new edited photo is very easily uploaded (with Petes great tutorial above) from your floppy drive.

Theres also the simple option of cutting a portion of the photo and pasting it to a new paint window, getting rid of huge back grounds, and focusing on the subject.

I just found paint to be very easy to do simple photo editing...being that it is such a common program, I think it will help people who have a difficult time editing and changing formats.

Photoshop and other similar programs are great, and I use them too but they can be overwhelming.

[ 04-02-2003, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
They may have updated Paint since my version (currently using NT4), but as to when...dunno. It may or may not work in Windows 95/98.

Irfanview is a good program for those types of things.

Also, the capitalized extensions might be a limitation of the upload script, and not necessarily a statement to proper naming protocol.

[ 04-02-2003, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: The Fishing Geek ]

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
if JPG has to be caps to save the file properly, how could it be changed and still upload???

Im stumped with that one.

"NT4" ?? What a GEEK! :grin:

·
Administrator
41,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't want to argue, but the picture upload utility requires that "jpg" be in lower case.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Fishing Geek....
You've made me very happy! You explained the whole thing so it's easy to understand. I'm going to start saving things to the root of C, and hope this eliminates renaming everything in order to post pics! Thanks much!

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Dave,

I really appreciate your response on posting pic's on the picture posting thread and your reply to my question.

You suggested saving the pic's to root of "C" drive.

I started a new folder on the "C" drive called ifish and have been saving my ifish upload pic's there. It works great and has another advantage. Now I can look in this new folder and see if I have posted that particular pic before on ifish. I have thousands of pic's in just the two years that I have learned and operated a PC and digital camera. It is difficult to remember if I have uploaded a certain pic before on ifish and this will simplify that. Now my path looks like this:
C:\ifish\necking.jpg
Pretty short path

I would reccomend this procedure to everyone. Any questions regarding this procedure, just ask the Geek or me.

Thanks again,

Dan

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Glad it worked. Just remember to not leave all that stuff there. Could get messy otherwise.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Okay Geek, now that I have found this to be a great method and it works great, you throw in the word "messy".

So what's the deal? Is it gonna cause my 454 hemi to backfire through my glass packs and choke my 4 barrel carb and short circuit my anolgitic, hypersonic, star treckin', mosaic brand spark plugs to foul? :grin:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts