IFish.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if Pflueger reels worth buying or not? :shrug:

Are they made in Asia? That is will the Chicoms be recalling this (like everything else lately)?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have there baitcaster I use for steelies. I've got some monster fish for the last 2yrs. on that and it still does fine. With straight 12lb mono.
:cheers:

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I seriously considered these and they looked good. I just heard a lot more recommendations for the Shimano's. I ended up getting a Curado 201 instead. Good luck

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Reel Guru who I would consider our resident expert steered me away from buying one. He thought that parts may become an issue down the road. I thought they felt like a smooth reel and for half the cost of a Curado.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I own a Baitcaster and have never had any problems. Caught lot's of fish with it. But I have buddies who got the same reel at the same time and burnt the drag out in no time. I think I got lucky and got a good one. I would look at the Curado. They cost a little more but well worth it. That is what I'm going to get if I burn the pfluger out.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I've owned two Pflueger Trions...about 3 years ago or so, and both went back because they made a horrible noise after about a dozen uses or so. Maybe a gear issue, I'm not sure, but they ended up both going back and I haven't purchased one since. Maybe a coincidence, but another buddy of mine had the exact same experience.:shocked: Just my .02 but I'm sure there are a lot of people pleased with them.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
My buddy has a couple steelhead reels and they're real smooth and he loves 'em so far but he doesn't use them a ton. I think they make the Salt Stryker reels(white ones) for Cabelas. I have some of those in the salmon size and like them-no problems. Hard to beat Shimano though.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I own a Pflueger Supreme and really like it. Super smooth and appears to be built well. I never heard about parts being a problem. I typically hang on to a reel for a few years and then sell it and buy something else. I don't anticipate having to buy any new parts other than possibly drag components.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Not sure the name but son-in-law bought a level wind two years ago, nice action, big handle, star drag, cost him about $49 on sale ... we've used it a couple of times past two years and think it's a nice reel - not Shimano class but then again, you can buy four new ones of the Pfleuger for one of them ... I would recommend as a starter reel or compliment reel on board as a back-up

Just kind of an aside ... I actually have and use three Plueger's that I've picked up or have been given by my father, don't think a one of them is newer than early 60's - we've oiled them up, scraped the corrosion off and replaced the drag washers (thank you Ollie Damon's) and though the freespool button sticks a little, they work just as good today as they did 40 years ago.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have two of the Phlueger Supreme spinnng reels. They are very light, and durable. Probably the best spinning reel on the market for under $100.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Buddy of mine has the supreme. Seems like a nice one. First time he used it we were floating the river and he got a nasty birds nest due to lack of experience. To make a long story short he had reel taken apart to fix the mess and dropped half of his new reel in the river. Pflueger sent him the half he lost free of charge. Boy was he happy.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I own two low profile Pflueger's, a Trion and a President. both have performed well. I had heard a few rumors about drag durability, but you couldn't prove it by me. My first fish on the Trion was in mid December a few years back. I was targeting steelies and a 25# buck took my corkie. I couldn't really pour the coals to it because I was only using 12# line/10# leader, but the drag worked great IMO. That reel has caught a number of steelies and silvers since. For that, I have total confidence in my Pfluegers.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Pflueger is now affiliated with Shakespeare and the "brand" has been around for a long time. Longer than Shimano, Okuma, etc. etc. It will continue to be around and parts will not be a problem.

For the money, IMO, their spinning reels work great for side drifting ( presidentials ) and only draw back may be the weight.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts