IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a recommendation for a place that I could purchase a pair of PFD's at a reasonable price? i.e. is there a sale going on anywhere? I need one for my wife and I. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Remember like anything else you get what you pay for.

They will all keep you afloat. But how willing are you to wear it if it dosen't fit comfortable?

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Small Fry. Good points. Comfort is a huge factor in whether they get used or just abused.

As far as locations to purchase go, there are several places. GI Joes (site sponsor), Fisherman's Marine, Boater's World, and Westmarine all come to mind. There are also Boat dealers that would probably carry PFD's also. Don't know about any sales though.

Steve :cheers:

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
I agree...you will get what you pay for!! I'd say GI JOES, FISHERMAN'S MARINE, SPORTSMAN'S WAREHOUSE, or any boat dealer could get you into a PFD within a reasonable amount!

-jokester

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Hey Lucky Luke, go check out Costco. They have a real good deal on some very nice life jackets. These are the neoprene style with very good flotation. I'm 6ft 2in tall and 220 pnds and the vest I picked up is super comfortable and sized well. I think the junior sizes were 29 bucks and 39 bucks for adult sizes. Dont quote me on that, but I am sure they werent any more expensive than that. The neoprene style jackets are typically very expensive. My first neoprene purchased at a ski shop was 110 bucks and I've seen comparable prices elsewhere. The ones at Costco are nicer with more flotation than the other one I paid nearly triple for. If you dont have a Costco card, dont worry. They will let you in as a first time visitor. Just go to the service counter and they will give you a pass that you will need to hand to the cashier if you purchase anything. 80 bucks for a very comfortable, stylish pair of adult PFD's is a good deal I think.

[ 05-12-2003, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: TundraIII ]

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx for everyone's advice. I agree, comfort is a must if your like me, I sometimes spend 14 hrs on the water. It has to be comfy. Tundra, I'm going to check out Costco. Thanx again.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Bi Mart is having a sale on them for the $10.00 range, I think they were sterns or something close.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Lucky,

I just picked up one of the SOSpenders at Bass Pro Shops for $59 which is about $20 cheaper than what I've been able to find locally. Both the manual and auto-inflatables are currently on sale and I can't think of a more comfy PDF.

WLW

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
Get the one that you can wear on your belt. Or the SOSpenders.

PFDs are like guns- It sure would be nice to have a machine gun if you were in a gunfight, but would be a pain to carry around.Sooner or later it would get left at home because it is too much of a hassle. So we carry little handguns instead.

So if it is under the seat, it probably will not save your life. I have the class V super duper coast guard units....under the seat.

My hero and mentor, Johnny the weasel, wears one on his hip. If it is good enough for the weasel, it is good enough for Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
bi mart gets my vote, prices there are screemin'.
Just make sure whatever you buy is realtively comfortable and safe. Don't buy an underrated od too small PFD either.

·
Premium Member
14,394 Posts
i've got three of the stearns vests ala bimart. they are comfy enough and were only about $12 each. it's easy to be into floatation during the colder months because it serves as an extra layer of insulation. SOSpenders make a great alternative for summer time but the summer heat is still a few months away. $25 for a pair of the stearns will get you on the water today and you can worry about upgrading later.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Tundra: your info about the Costco Pfds is pretty much correct. They are Jobe neoprene and the prices you have are correct. HOWEVER, a non member can no longer come in and shop on a pass. That was eliminated some time ago. If anyone needs to get a membership, I can help guide you through the process to minimize the time. Please feel free to e mail me if you have questions about whats in stock since I work a the largest warehouse.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great advice from all of you. Ampersat, i'm of the same opinion. Be safe now and save my pennies for an upgrade later. I'll still wear it even if its hot out. Thanx again for the advice. Lucky

1 - 14 of 14 Posts