IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any prior experience fishing salmon in Petersburg, AK in early May? Or Tuna/mahi-mahi in Honolulu in July? I am traveling to these places on business and plan on a couple of personal days for R&R. I am mainly looking for info on who to go fishing with should I need to get a charter. Or if anyone has a "buddy" that would take me out? That's fine too. I am a good deckhand and can cut fish with the best of them. I can help out with the fuel bill as well. Any contact info would be great.
Thanks in advance,
Ragnar

G

·
It's a bit early for Petersburg but there should be some fish. Not to many charters out of there. If you can do it, a side trip to Sitka would be well worth it.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
If you want to fish out of Petersburg, contact Pete Troy (formerly of Troys
Fish Market in Portland). He's a good guy and an Ifish sponser:

http://www.spiritone.com/~ptroy/

Used to fish a LOT out of Pacific City. Now runs a 30' catamaran that looks
a lot like mine! :wink: However, he may not start fishing until June. Not sure!

-assAssin-

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Keta and Fish Assassin, much appreciated. I'll try getting a hold of that feller up there.
Gratsi,
Ragnar

·
Registered
576 Posts
Ragnar,
Petersberg is one of my favorite places in SE. I've taken the Alaska State Ferry 5 different times and spent two weeks to a month going from stop to stop, Island to Island. It was always fun to get off the ferry when it arrived in Petersburg at about 2:30 to 3:00 AM, get a ride into town and spend 3-4 hours in the sauna and hot tub at the Scandia House until the car rental place and restaurants opened up.
As to fishing, Blind River Rapids has an very early run of Chinook that we've fished the first week of June and they were there solid. It's a walk in fishery (on a wooden board walk) that can be incredible. 40 to 50 fish tide bites are possible. We've always drift fished it with 5-7mm glow beads with as small a slinky as we could get away with. The water is really clear and you could see the fish break and eat the bead as it dropped.
We also fished with Dan from Secret Cove Charters, 907-772-3081. Everyone in town knows him as it's a little community. He has a beautiful 28 foot Parker, if I remember right, and slays the Halibut and Salmon. There used to be a rubbing of a 400+ pound Halibut he caught trolling salmon in the channel right out front of town hanging in the original Scandia House before it burnt down. He works for Alaska Airlines in their freight department (the manager I think) and has a deal with them that he takes the Summer off to Guide/Fish. Both he and his wife were really nice an I would recommend them without reservation.
Fond memories. It's been a couple of years, maybe time to go back. Hope this helps,
Jean

[ 04-18-2003, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: jcarufo ]

·
Registered
484 Posts
Ragnar, July is a little late (or early depending on perspective) in the season for Mahi, Tuna and darn near everything else. Check out: http://www.sportfishhawaii.com/html/sportfish.html for a good overview. I travel back and forth to HI every couple months for a week and get as much fishing in as I can (just got off the Willamette an hour ago). If you want to bring gear with you, there are fish to be caught inshore(no license required), heck, even fresh water (license required). Drop me a line if you take gear with you and while I'm just a haoule, I've talked with most of the tackle shops and I can offer what I know.

[ 04-18-2003, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: moman ]

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Keta,

When you were with the AMH did you work in Petersburg? I could swear I saw a guy on the ferry dock that looked like you. This would have been in about June '93. :whazzup:

G

·
1 pump,
'94-'99 All of the terminals in SE plus Cordova and Whittier. PBG was only a short hop in a float plane for me so I spent more time there and at WNG&CBY. Hit every terminal at least twice a year unless there were problems or new construction. Favorite places were SKY, WNG and KAE (the people of Kake are friendly and helpful and the fishing in lower Linn Canal is unbelievable). I had some good friends in Hoonah too but there was a high % of native racists there. Least liked were WIT and ANG. Whittier was full of Whittiots and the whole town is a RR switch yard. Angoon (Gooney) was full of racists and had no place to sleep.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts