IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any ideas on how to screen the Beavs' away from an over flow pipe on a pond. They plugged it tight last year and put water over the dam/driveway. I am thinking of building a floating dock with a hatch in it to anchor over the pipe. Any idea's appreciated.:shrug:

· Registered
3,058 Posts
Toss a football in there, that is sure to really confuse them

or so this U of O alumnist I work with says...

· Registered
2,281 Posts
I guess I should add that when I say "relocate", I don't mean "make a hat out of them." I mean, call a professional trapper. I have worked with hydrologists who could not deter them. Beavers are marvelous engineers, and the hydrologists finally just had to move them to another location.

Good luck.

· Registered
5,932 Posts
saw a program on tv about that, a cyclone gate about 8 ft wide away from pipe 8 feet, section ends 45 deg both sides to the bank. seemed to work!

· Registered
2,372 Posts
Before just killing them you might want to consider that beavers are listed in Oregon under the "Protected mammals and birds" as a furbearer:
"Protected species may not be taken without a valid license and tag during authorized seasons or a Scientific Taking Permit. However, rabbits and rodents destructive to agricultural crops, products and activities may be taken."

What is a Furbearer?
Furbearers are beaver, bobcat, fisher, marten, mink, muskrat, otter, raccoon, red and gray fox.

Source: http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/small_game/

· Registered
13,737 Posts
there are sevral fur trappers on ifish I am sure they will be willing to help you put rp

· Registered
465 Posts
It seems beavers are OCD candidates. If they are close enough to hear running water they connot help themselves - they will try to dam it. It also turns out they have a thing about building the dam perpindicular to the flow of the water. This is where the solution mentioned above comes into play.

Up in Canada, it was found that beavers could be deterred by building what is basically a triangle of cyclone fence in front of the culvert entrance. The mouth of the culvert is against a flat side and a point is upstream. this did two things: it kept the beavers farther away from the noise of water flowing in the culvert reducing the urge to build a dam and it made it so the beaver had no way of building perpindicular to the water flow. Seemed to work?

I think it was in Manitoba or Sascatchewan - try a Google search.

· Registered
593 Posts
A study was done years ago, where a couple of beavers were placed in a room with a speaker that was playing the sound of running water. The beavs piled sticks all around it, thereby showing that it is the sound of running water that attracts them.
Eliminate the noise and you eliminate the issue. Yeh right !! :laugh:

· Registered
268 Posts
Anyone have any ideas on how to screen the Beavs' away from an over flow pipe on a pond. They plugged it tight last year and put water over the dam/driveway. I am thinking of building a floating dock with a hatch in it to anchor over the pipe. Any idea's appreciated.:shrug:

Here is the link to build a Beaver Deciever. It is the solution you need. Easy to build the instructions are on the web site.

http://dnr.metrokc.gov/wlr/Dss/beavers/beaverintro.htm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.