IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the course of the last couple of weeks, several of us weekend warriors made a plan to get together today (Saturday) and fish the "back yard" in OC.

At JustbeforeLight30 this morning I met up with reeldick, Sturgeon Tom, Skrimmy and Fishing Is Life.

Of course most of you know by now the river has raised fully 2 1/2 feet in the last 2 days. It was still rising today and had the hue of green-spoiled chocolate milk.

We started at the Hole O' Garbage, but that was soon determined to be a waste of time. We ran a short way up the Clack. Nothing.

We then hit the Willamette trying to stay in the green seam downstream of the Clack, where we saw one fish finally come - at least a boat dropped off their hook so we think it might have been a fish.

We then kept working upstream, downstream, sidestream, diagonalstream, circles - you name it. Nobody was catching fish.

We finally dropped Tom off and by then we had given FIL no end to a bad time since his eggs disapeared after a tap. That HAD to be a springer! Whiffed it dude! Shame! Shame!! Most likely it was really a Northern Pike(minnow), but since we could neither prove or disprove it, we razzed him relentlessly.

Anyway, we expanded our horizons and motored to and below Cedaroak where finally I caught the bottom while trolling a cocktail in shallow water. Err, until the bottom moved! Sure enough the bottom started really running and after a bit reeldick netted about a 15 pound hatchery buck for me.

We had worked clear to 5PM before we went one for one on hooked fish.

That was the only fish we saw today. A few other boats looked like they might have been fighting a fish, and we heard a few came out of the cluster boats at the mouth of the Clack. Oh, there was one other one we saw - the nice bright one laying over a rock near the shore that the seagulls were picking the eyes out of until the vultures showed up.

Some day...

:cheers:

[ 04-26-2003, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: Hogmaster ]

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Next time: BANANAS

·
Registered
781 Posts
My wife caught a jack today in the river and her brother caught a #20 in the MC
Only saw three others caught today.

·
Registered
14,810 Posts
WTG HOGGY,

It was a tough day all around. 1 fish is hero like. Keep watchin out your back window. :shocked:

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Hog - Fish or no fish, I had a great time out there. But having someone, anyone, get a fish to the boat on such a tough day like that made it all that much better! :grin: :grin:

SmokedSalmonTom smoked up that fish he caught last week, done up with ReelDicks recipe, and brought some of it to share with the group, wow! Nice job on the smoked fish Tom, thanks! That was great.

As always on the SS Hogmaster, lots of fun and great stories. Hog, ReelD, FIL, Tom - thanks for a great day!

·
Registered
676 Posts
was anchored right next to the gulls working over the bright one on the bank a all the little critters got a nibble on that one,even a lil puddycat :shocked: they all did better than me :shrug:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hogmaster...

Same goes for the Downtown area...Slow, but we did see 2 nets fly and allot of fish on the finder which means.....Those fish should be really stacked in O.C. by the time the river starts clearing.

Scott

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Scott -

I think you're right.

I was going to hit it again this morning until I saw the river and checked the levels. Browner yet and still rising! Dang!! Will be a another few days before things bust loose I have a feeling.

Hey the bear. That was you in the wood driftboat eh? As an FYI to Garbage Hole Backtrollers, if there are no boats on the traditional anchor spot on the West Linn side and you choose to come down from above, beware. Somebody seems to have left an anchor line in the river just above where the hog line sits.

I caught it yesterday and lost a jumbo jet to it. It never even returned to the surface! That's why we dropped below you (to look for it)...

skrimmy, we'll get you a fish soon!

[ 04-27-2003, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Hogmaster ]

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
I'm sticking with it too!
Tilla=136 hrs = no Springer and one well fed sea lion!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Hogmaster and crew, had a great day hangin with you and learned some new things too. Thank you for the good company and stories. Hogmaster thanks for showing me new parts of the river. Sweet ride too. Reeldick showed me how to pop the gills instead of using a knife. better blood flow.

i am happy we ended up with a fish. worked hard for it which made it even more satisfying. They dont call him Hogmaster for no reason. You guys are welcome on my boat anytime.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Hogmaster...If you check out the ODFW Willamette Salmon Angling link on their website...you might expect to see a sharp drop in the river level come Tuesday. I could be wrong...but if I read those numbers right..there's a definite flow increase on Sunday and Monday...followed by sharp reductions in CFS. Hmmmmmmm.

How about that??

Mark

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Might be true Mark, might be true...

But I just noticed this. The Willamette has dropped 2' from yesterday!!!

If you don't have to work tomorrow, DON'T!!!!!!!!

:cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts