IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a Vancouverite now....The Port of Vancouver has a proposal up here to expand their port facilities. Financed of course by a tax proposal.

Now I don't know about the rest of you, but over the last couple of years I've noticed a major increase in watercraft users both in Oregon and Washington and no increase in existing launch facility parking anywhere in the Portland Vancouver area.

This a.m. I popped off a Letter to the Editor of the Columbian suggesting that the Port, rather than to tax everyone to fund the expansion, consider building a Chinook Landing size launch facility on their property adjacent to the Vancouver Lake flushing channel. Seems like a "No Brainer" to me. Not sure if it would be feasible to expand the flushing channel a bit into a lagoon similar to Chinook Landing, but I'm told the Port owns all the property in that area.

I dunno....what do the rest of you think about that? Seems it would generate some good revenue as well as take some of the problems we're all facing with no parking expansion at existing ramp facilities.

Chime in.

Mark

· Administrator
40,980 Posts
I think that's a great idea Mark. Thanks for bringing this forward. You've got a strong argument and a good proposal. Between Portco and Caterpiller, there's certainly room and demand for something more. And with Vancouver growing as quickly as it is, you'd think there would be a lot of support. Does Washington have something like the Oregon Marine Board, which might supplement the financing and support a proposal?

· Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure Pete, but I think some ramp facilities are financed through WDFW. At least Cat is. Not sure about Portco. Supposedly Cat is slated for some ramp improvements, but I don't think there are any parking expansion plans there. Anybody else know?

Mark

· Banned
5,845 Posts
I used to fish out of Catapillar island until over crowding, at 4:30 AM no less, and a permit was required. I never did find out if you could buy just a permit and not the whole non-resident license. Lots of good water out there Mark, they put in a Chinook landing type launch out there and you can kiss some of your solitude good by! I would certainly use it a few time a year though.

Your proposal sounds like a great idea, but I got a hunch nobody in power realy cares, heck....they cant even get Wasington drivers to use their turn signals!

Smj

· Administrator
40,980 Posts
It looks to me like the Washington State Recreation and Conservation Office might be a good partner.

The Recreation and Conservation Office creates and maintains opportunities for recreation, protects the best of the state's wild lands, and contributes to the state's efforts to recover salmon from the brink of extinction. A small state agency, the office supports five boards: Together, the boards provide leadership, funding, and technical assistance to:

Help Build Communities Parks
Boating facilities
Firearms, archery ranges
Trails
Off-road vehicle areas
Play fields
Access to the water

· Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I kissed the solitude out there goodbye about 5 years ago. If there's a big ramp there, I really don't think the crowds would get larger. People just wouldn't have to use as much fuel to get there.

And don't knock us Washington drivers please.:pp I see plenty of infractions on vehicles with Oregon plates too!

I would be surprised if the tax proposal will pass up here but who knows? If it doesn't, this might be a way for the Port to get what they want without a tax.

If anything..maybe this will spark some people on BOTH sides of the river to rally for improvements at existing facilities. I think we all could agree improvements and expansion at most facilities in the Portland Vancouver area are needed desperately. Do you disagree?

Mark

· Registered
7 Posts
Why spend all the money for that area though? They should just give that stretch of the river to the boating recreation crowd. You can barely fish it because it is a total weed farm. I would agree if it would keep the speed boats and jet ski's up there.

· Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would like to see this thread not turn into a "Rant" thread.

The PDX Vancouver area is in dire need of ramp expansions, or a new facility in my own opinion.

If you look at the tiltle of this thread it says "Perhaps an opportunity"?

The speed boats and jet skis use both ramps that I spoke of on the Washington side of the river. Point is, there's not enough parking to handle them all, and I see an opportunity to provide for funds to improve and expand the Port of Vancouver without taxing the residents in my own opinion.

Mark

· Registered
5,954 Posts
F/M,
I think you have asked a very good questions that begs further discussion. A new launching area wouldn't do a lot of good for me since I'm a drift boat guy and float the tributaries, but more access to the river would be a good thing and hopefully help ease the overcrowding at other launch sites.
A new tax to pay for it would not be too welcome, IMO, but like you mentioned, it would be a good opportunity for the port to expand a bit.

Good topic for discussion.

· Registered
1,176 Posts
Larry Paulsen is the Port Executive Director. Arch Miller and Brian Wolfe are two of the 3 port commissioners. They are pretty good folks and good businessmen. I am sure they would be glad to discuss the idea with you, even if it wouldn't fit with the current port "plan". You never know where the idea might lead. I don't know much about the 3rd commissioner.

· Registered
3,855 Posts
Yep. A good idea to add facilities for recreational boaters by Port of Vancouver. I spoke to a Port of Vancouver planner about 5 years ago on this very topic. The fact is that we, the recreational boating and fishing public, are NOT a part of their planning at all. Their priorities are industrial development first, last and foremost. I was talking to a sympathetic guy I knew fairly well and he told me to forget about it. Never gonna happen.

Good luck to those who try other approaches, but I'm not optimistic.

· Banned
166 Posts
I think it is a great idea.
The publicity and future good will the port would gain from this gesture would far out weigh the cost for them.
What better of a start at one side offering to help the other.
If things like this would catch on we might end up seeing diverse groups shaking hands instead of using their hand for the one finger salute as they cross paths.
In this me,me,me,I,I,I world it is time for these kind of deeds to be encouraged instead of sneered at.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.