IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to try the tuna thing next year,need some gear info... will a penn 4/0 handle these critters? opinions welcome.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
It'll handle them until the drag goes. I never met a Penn drag I liked until you get to the International price range.
Lots of better reels with nice smooth drags out there for trolling. Try a Diawa Sealine 50H If you can find one ($130 retail when they were still selling them). I've got 3 about 10 years old and they've never been apart or failed me. I don't believe they are made any more but you might find one floating around somewhere.
Lots of folks may argue about the Penns but I've owned them and used other folks recently. They aren't in the same class as a lot of other reels. SKspawner had a Shimano Calcutta 700 on the boat this weekend. Seemed like it was a nice reel for the job too but quite a bit more money.

·
Administrator
41,361 Posts
Take a look at a Shimano TLD, too. Very smooth, rugged and with a very nice retreive rate.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I use mostely Penns primarily because of ease of getting them fixed, maintenance, etc. There is someone locally here in Depoe Bay who does a lot of the reel maintenance/repairs, and he does all of mine.

G

·
A 3/0-112 Senator works a bit better due to it's lighter weight but a 4/0-114 will work too, when used with spectra line. Penn has upgraded it's drag systems with SS washers and shouldn't have the problems Miss B is refering to any more.

·
Registered
15,720 Posts
Penn 4/0 - I have one - it wa my first sturgeon reel - don't like it much - very slow retrieve (1:2 or so). Also, the new drag washers are not nearly as good as the original, wich you cannot get any more because they were asbestos. However, that being said, if it's what you've got, fish it! Better than a spinning reel :grin: .

ORS

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, it looks like a 50/50 split.I think I'll look for something else and try them both. I was concerned about the penn drag. Thanks all for the input.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
H.C.,
There are a ton of aftermarket drag replacement sets you can buy. You might ask a reel repair place about it, or look up (I thing it is...)Slickie Drag Washers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts