IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Slinkies are better on the river.

However, if you factor in how long it takes to make slinkies, pencil lead moves right next to them. I've gone to pencil lead, because I just don't have the time to make slinkies any more. Maybe when I retire, I'll be back to slinkies.

Pencil lead takes one quick punch with the special pliers, and you're done. Also, one advantage with lead, is when you make one too heavy, one quick snip, and you've got the right bounce on your drift.

SKP

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
thanks for the info sounds like they both have thier places Quick Fisher

·
Banned
4,224 Posts
:shrug:

·
Banned
4,224 Posts
In my mind the use of slinkies is arcaic, sice the advent of puting lead or steel shot in heavy wall surgical tubing, and the use of pencil lead is only nessisary when you need more than an ounce and other types of sinkers get hung up too easy.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Pencil lead IN slinky cord. Fast & easy to make. They don't hang up as much as plain lead, but fish almost the same. I've even built some large ones for dragging spinners for walleye.

For what it's worth ($.02) :grin:

·
Registered
10,838 Posts
Depends. I like slinkies the best, but i've found out that if you hang up, you're more likely to loose your leader and all with them. Where as the hollow lead you can pull off and you'll get your leader back. Just my $0.02

-jokester

·
Banned
4,224 Posts
Have any of u used shot inserted in heavy wall tubing?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
when drift fishing, what do you like best pencil lead or slinkies?

[ 04-16-2003, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: Quick Fisher ]

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
In my opinion, both have their use. I like the feel of slinkies much better than pencil lead, but will use pencil lead when fishing runs that have little structure and a finer gravel or sandy like bottom.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts