IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Paulina and Simtustus with the family this week. Paulina was better for me than usual. I got 1 Koke and lots of trout on Tuesday, then my wife and I limited on kokes Wednesday. Almost all of the kokes were caught in water between 220 and 230 feet deep and along a line between the red slide and Little Crater campground. They all hit on one pole, it had a 0000 dodger with a 12 inch leader to a double hook rig that was basically a 4" string of green glass beads. I had a 000 dodger on the other pole, with the same terminal gear, could not get a bite. Most of the trout were caught while shuttling my kids back and forth from the hot springs, wind drifting an olive soft hackle fly WWB. The biggest was a 17 inch brown. My daughter was slaughtering trout from the bank with power bait.

We went to Simtustus on Wednesday, and only fished one morning. We tried jigging up by the log boom but only caught trout, and saw no other fish caught on jigs, so we trolled in the top half mile of the reservoir with willow leaf trolls and wedding rings. We caught only 3 big Kokanee, but they are hawgs, 16-18" long. I did not want that much Kokanee so we left pretty early, to find out that our campsite was reserved for Thursday night, and there were no more available, so we packed up and headed home, with a quick stop at Richardsons Ranch for rocks and Maupin for some mediocre flyfishing along the way.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts