IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family and I will be going up to Paulina over Labor Day Weekend. I have never been there before, so I would like some help from fellow ifisher's. I will be bringing my 14' boat, with a trolling motor. Any helpfull advice on what to use, and how to use it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank's in advance, ~SK~

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Rapalas around the edges at dawn and dusk for the big browns.

Someone who catches them should fill you in on plug color and size.

Kokanee may be in spawning mode ? Follow the boats.

Have fun, enjoy the star show.

G

·
LS,
Isn't it still a bit early for Paulina kokanee to be turning color? I don't know when they do though, as I usualy fish there earlier in the year.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I was at Paulina and Wickiup 2 weeks ago and the fishing was s-l-o-w. My brother-in-law went to East Lake last weekend and said the fishing was good. If you don't mind injesting mercury, then East Lake may be the place to go. Catch and release is fun too.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Hence the question mark! Wickiup kokes are in the creeks end of Sept., first of Oct. that's about all I know! Most of my kokanee fishing is in May or June.

FallRiverGuy would be the resident Paulina reporter --- :bowdown:

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
I have fished Paulina the past two Labor Day weekends for Kokanee. The fish are not full on red, but some are starting to get some color and the males have a hump started. I have found that the meat quality has deteriorated to the point that I don't like to eat them any more. However, the fish are very aggressive and a blast to catch. The weekend before my catch was ~10% 3rd year fish. So there is fun to be had and a few good eating fish as well.

For Kokanee I like the Apex lures in green, flo orange, and flo red. Tip with anise scented white corn and try to get deep. With the clarity of the water try fishing the Apex without flashers. If you don't have a downrigger, I would add enough weight to get down to 25 to 30 feet and if some flash is required, try a Sling Blade dodger in front of the Apex. Troll slowly, ~1 mph.

A good place to start is in front of the lodge along the shoulder of the drop off in about 50 feet of water. Also try along the SW shore-just around corner to the right if coming from the lodge.

Early and late has been good for jigging with pink/white or green/white jigs.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Just got back Sunday from Paulina. Weather was great the fishing so-so. Caught a few rainbow, a couple of small Browns. Kokes were there but tight lipped. What was nice is the wind stayed down for the most part. Lots of camps spot available. Have fun!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all who have replied, I will use and try all the stuff given above. Any other tips or advice will also be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, ~SK~

1 - 8 of 8 Posts