IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soozy and I had the pleasure of sharing Paulina Lake this weekend with Scott Kappes of Hot Tamale Outdoor Show, his great kids, and of course a few hundred others. Scott again put on a clinic for those who want to learn how to catch kokanees. This year the kokes were much larger and fishing was significantly better than Memorial Day weekend last year. Great fun, Scott!

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
I am going down June 6,7,8. I will fish it one day. Just how were you fishing it?
st

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, mainly I followed Scott around like a little puppy dog. We trolled flashers and wedding rings. Two pieces of white corn. Tried worms and corn, but they wanted straight corn. The fish seemed to be at about 30 feet. Nice size fish. Most seemed to troll or jig at the slide, but we actually did a bit better out in the middle. Cold "mutha" this morning! Saw or heard of no action on browns.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Fished Paulina on Saturday and Sunday. Four of us limited on both days using ford fenders, wedding rings and corn. Fished the north part of lake about 75 yards from the bank to 300 yards. Saturday was a great day, but Sunday rain, wind early morning and then calmed down about 10 AM. Fish were about 20-30 feet and the slower the trolling speed the better. Two great days!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Jack!

You're killing me..."followed me around like a puppy dog"...come'on now, you did JUST FINE.

I didn't do anything different than those above...Ford fenders, snubber, 3' leader, and red/silver wedding ring or hot red or Pink Apex. The 2 hook Apex held the fish better than the single wedding ring rig. Lost several fish on the single hook at the boat. (Jack, maybe since I was fishing 3 rods, and the chaos that typically ensued when the 5 year old yelled "fish-On"....it was simply an illusion that we were hooking more fish!)

Kokes were bigger this year. Biggest went close to 16". Fish were anywhere between 20'-40'.

Scott

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Those two hooks are the way to go. All my Kokanee lures have two hooks. I have started to use a size 2 gamie with a size 4 trailer. Usually this does the trick and few fish are lost. However, I fished Paulina last night for 2 hours and only landed one out of 4 bites. Pink or orange Apex did the trick fished at 20 feet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts