IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished Paulina the 25th and the 27th with several friends who have not fished for Kokanee before. Monday a friend from out of town and I fished from 10 to 2 getting our 10 fish. Sunday my wife’s boss met me at the lake at 7 am. Fishing was good again. We had nine fish by 10:30. Lost many fish that did not stick after the strike. I threw our 10th fish in the cooler, which was placed back by the motors, and before I could close the lid it flipped out of the cooler and back into the water...Doh! :blush:
It took another 1.5 hours to get that last fish. At noon I swapped fishing partners and tried to get another friend into 5 fish. He only managed 2 fish by 5:30. Not that he did not have ample strikes until 3:15 when the bite died. Most of the strikes were drive-bys that did not stick. A pink hoochie with anise scented corn caught 90% of the fish. The fish seemed to be congregated in the morning and late evening right in front of the resort in 60 to 80 feet of water. Also found some in front of the bird houses. We fished at 32 feet early and 45 later in the day.

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
thanks for the report,
I'm living vicariously through you with that koke fishing right now. I still want to hook up with you this fall and do some serious fishing.
Take care,
Brad

·
Registered
488 Posts
Fall River Guy, I'll be at Sun River all next week and plan to take one or more of my girls up to Paulina to catch our first Kokes. We have regular trout gear and will rent a boat. My only clue as to time, technique is the generous tidbits offered on this site. I also figure the schools will be under the flotilla of boats on the lake. What is the best way to rig up and chase these beauties? Do I need ounces of weight to get down there and stay down there? Am I better off jigging than trolling? Is 4# test too light? Thanks for any help you can provide!!

Jay

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would try jigging. The people that were fishing by long lining with flashers and weight did not seem to do very well. The people jigging were doing very well. From what I could tell, the people jigging were not using corn either.

As for line weight I like 6 lb but have in the past used 4. You should see a flotilla of boats right out in front of the lodge. If you watch you will see where the schools are located. The other popular place to jig is across the lake to the left of the red slide. Again there should be a number of boats jigging in that area making it easy to find. Both of these areas are relatively shallow and run between 50 and 90 feet.

Unfortunately I don’t know what color or kinds of jigs were working. I would either call the lodge and ask, or get a variety of colors of 2-inch buzz bombs. With out a fish finder it will be hard to know how deep to fish. What I have done in the past is to drop to the bottom and reel up two cranks and jig. If no bites I would reel another two cranks and jig for a while again. Repeat this until you find fish. Watch what the people who are catching fish are doing. You should be able to get an idea of how deep they are fishing.

[ 07-28-2003, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: FallRiverGuy ]

·
Registered
488 Posts
Thanks Fall River Guy, I was at GI Joes eyeballing a bargain downrigger. I'm sure it would be a great investment.... However, my wife would shoot me... Does anyone have any favorite BuzzBomb colors or tricks they care to share in general or related specifically to Paulina Lake??
I will report back if you want me to and not if you don't!

Jay :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts