IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
When I was at Billy Chinook earlier this year they had signs posted regarding a parasite that lived by the fins on the trout. We caught a few fish with them attached. The signs said to scrape them off when cleaing and cooked they were just fine. None of us got sick or died yet, but this extra finger is starting to make it hard to type.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Lake Billy Chinook Kokanee generally have them, some years are worse than others, looks like what I call sea lice, they are Copepods, also saw them on some Kokanee from Odell. I just scrape them off.

Gary K.

PS I don't tell my wife about them, you how skittish they can get!

·
Registered
717 Posts
If the worms that you saw had forked tails then most likely they were anchor worms, Lernea elegans. Most folks call 'em copepods. They won't hurt you. But, just to be on the safe side don't make sushi out of those trout. :grin:

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. The ones I saw were only about a 1/4" long(at least that was all that was on the outside!) and transparent. I don't keep many trout anyways, I was just wondering 'cause that's the first time I've ever seen them.
Salmonman- thanks for that thread- although I may now use the suggested method of cleaniong fish without glasses!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.