IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Which knot for tying up mono to barrel swivels? I'm finding that my fingers don't work as well as they used to (and the eyes also). The Palomar seems so much easier and quicker to use. I use the Palomar for the braid mainline swivel....but will it work on mono as well as clinch knot (or cinch knot)?
I'm watching Wicked Tuna and tying up gear for the upcoming Springer trip next month.

Pauli

Registered
Yes, the Palomar will serve you well for attaching a swivel to mono or braid. There are few knots better or easier for that purpose.

Quick story: A buddy of mine & I were at the Sportsman's show talking to a guy who was trying to sell us a "no knot". He was telling us that it holds at 100%. He had a knot tester right there at the table/booth. He would tie a knot on one end and use a "no knot" on the other. The knot always broke. He offered to let us tie knots, you know where this is going. We tied Palomars and they ALWAYS held better than the "no knot". True story. I still bought a couple packages of "no knots". They are good with braid in some applications.

Another answer: If I were to tie one knot to attach terminal tackle, it would be a Palomar.

Reactions: Fin Chaser

Registered
Palomar is head and shoulders STRONGER than a clinch knot.... but the disadvantage is that it can only be tied to a free/loose swivel or hook.

Registered
Even with mono? I thought it was a braid knot only.

Registered
Palomar is my goto for either braid or mono to swivels.

Registered
I use the improved clinch or San Diego Jam knot for mono (feels pretty cool to say that - I鈥檝e only known and used it since November) the Double Palomar for braid on terminal gear. I used to be good at Blood knots and stepping down fly leaders, but you lose what you don鈥檛 use. Angler鈥檚 Loop Knot for weights and shad.

CW

Registered
The modified Uni knot is stronger than the Palomar knot but maybe a little more difficult to tie for some. Very good for joining braid and mono or braid to Flourocarbon also.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Looks Like I will continue with the Palomar for the swivels.... Thanks everyone for the input.

Pauli

Registered
It's BETTER with mono. It's originally for it.
鈥業鈥檝e been tying the improved cinch knot for 50 years. You are shaking the foundations of my fishing reality.

The palomar is really quick and easy to tie.

Reactions: dogtwangg

Registered
I tie the Palomar when ever I can. That was the first knot my grandpa taught me when I was a wee lad. I'll tie an improved clinch knot or River Inlet knot when I can't tie a Palomar.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Registered
Lots of opinions; here鈥檚 mine.

Braid to swivel, Palomar.

Mono to swivel (under 40#), improved clinch.

Mono to swivel (over 40#), uni knot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Braid to mono it鈥檚 fg knot all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never heard of it till now. Looks like it is fairly easy to tie and super strong if done right. I wonder how well it works for light braid to light mono?

Registered
While adequate when used with braid, both the Palomar and the Clinch Knot (improved or otherwise) are poor knots to use for mono, because they both generate heat while being dressed and set, becoming weakened and inconsistent.
A much better knot for jigs and swivels is the Spangler, which generates virtually no heat or friction while being set and is impossible to pull or slip out, unlike the clinch knot.
If you must use the Palomar or Clinch Knot, use great care while dressing them, drawing them tight slowly and carefully.
But why not just adopt the Spangler in their place which doesn't suffer these foibles and is easy and quickly tied once mastered.
I learned the clinch knot at my Father's knee, but it, just like the dropper knot also learned there, is no longer in my repertoire. I have replaced the Dropper Knot with a Platted Loop knot, known as the Kiwi Dropper Loop for similar reasons, friction while setting, which contributes to the significant weakening of the knot, even in heavy mono... 馃彺鈥嶁槧锔

Registered
On other advantage of the Palomar over the improved cinch that I have found is that it holds to the wire better without sliding. Think of a spinner bait with no eye, just a bend in the wire. The improved seems to hold OK but slides up and down the wire. Palomar hold tight.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts