IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a nice, bright 15-17lb Springer last night. When I started filleting it, the blade on my Gerber (Gator?) fillet knife broke at the handle. Does this happen often?
Also, the tail section of the fillets had almost white flesh, a section about three inches long. It kind of looked like a late fall chromer hen's fillets. I've never seen this on a springer. The rest of the fish was a rich orange/red color.
How's everyone's Springer season going? This is far and away the best year I've had. I've nailed them on the Columbia, in the Channel, at Sellwood, in Lake Oswego, in West Linn, at the falls, and most recently the lower Clackamas. Probably 30 fish so far for almost as many fishing days. Not as many as some, but a ton for me. :grin:

·
Administrator
41,360 Posts
That sounds like a fish I had a couple weeks ago in the Portland harbor ... white tail, but the rest of the flesh was the color of children's aspirin. It tasted OK, but it wasn't nearly as good as fish I caught earlier in the season. I was very surprised by it as it was a chrome bright as any fish I've caught. It just didn't look so nice inside. I, too, wondered what was the reason and I haven't come up with an answer.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Got one like that yesterday myself, was starting to turn like they do in June and July. They don't come much brighter this time of year. Rest of the meat was Just OK, real faint like a fall hen. This was a hen but should of had a lot better meat. I ended up smoking half of it and then giving the rest away. Have had a pretty good last couple of weeks so didn't need to eat and Marginal fish.

·
Administrator
41,360 Posts
It's hard to know quite yet, but the numbers over Bonneville started earlier than usual and started tapering off earlier than usual. The run is down to the ten year average, which includes some pretty lean years.

2003 vs. 10 Year Average Graph - Bonneville

[ 05-16-2003, 06:56 AM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
AtWorkALot -

Geez, for a guy with that as a handle you seem to be doing right well for yourself! Maybe I need to come with YOU! :grin:

Those half and half fish never seem to taste as good as the regular springers. Even the ones caught about the falls that are further along their journey taste better to me anyway. Some biologist should be able to 'splain why there are these? :shrug:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hog,
I should probably change it to LeavesEarlyALot or CompTime, but I think the current name garners me more sympathy. Put me in your boat sometime and I'll share my good ju-ju. :grin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts