IFish.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever paint a Dink float made out of backer rod? what kind of paint do you use? The stuff I use flakes off.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
i dont paint them, i just buy the Danielson floats that have a hard top instead of painted top. i was thinking of glueing some glow sticker paper on the top, i think you could do the same with flo sticker tape.

[ 05-05-2003, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: fishing is life ]

·
Registered
186 Posts
the one's i've made i've dipped in the rubber tool dip. the same stuff you dip your tool handels in. It works great, there is just one downside, the paint isn't very bright, so on those dark mornings when it's light enough to cast the paint isn't really bright enough to see. Sometimes during this time i will add a little florescent tape etc. to the float and charge it with a flashlight. The other thing i've done (just recently) is to paint it with a bright color (of your choice and paint type) then when it drys i've used some boat epoxy to cover the paint. this stuff drys hard and the paint doesn't flake off (i've had the same experience with the flaking paint) the only reason i tried this was because i was working ona boat i'm building and had some left over epoxy that i couldn't use at the time and some dink floats were sitting there so i just painted it on them. the epoxy is by System 3, it's very expensive and if your price oriented it's not really worth while to buy it just to do Dink floats, but it worked great. Hope this helps.
:smile: chumsalmon

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
I've been curious about this too. The Nick Amato float by Mr Ed's has some extremely flourescent paint on it which is much easier to see in low light than any tape I've used, but it comes off easily. I believe it's an acrylic. A hint someone gave me on another board was to use some cement/glue under the paint. I haven't tried this yet. I suppose if there was an easy answer, the commercial floats would use it.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts