IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife says that it's time to clean up the boat or get it gone. I was wondering if the was anyone that has painted a metal boat before. Do you have to do anything with the aluminum first, or do you just start painting. The existing paint is starting to flake off pretty bad in some spots. This flaking is leaving some of shiny aluminum exposed. I hoped to seal the rivets with some fiberglass resin or somthing along those lines. Then paint is there a brand out there that is better than the others? No better place to ask for info than Ifish thanks in advance.
sled

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
When I had the guy paint mine, he used some special primer for aluminum (kind of a green color). Everything was bought at an automotive paint store. Check with one in your area and they should be able to help you out.

RF

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Again..... do a search on this site. There's plenty of info already here to answer you questions..... Good luck..... T

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
If your paint is flaking off, you should remove it all before you paint it. Once you get it off, clean your hull with steel wool and liquid dish detergent, making sure you rinse it completely off. Then shoot it with "Self Etching" primer. Then you'll wanna wet sand it with 400 grit wet/dry. Then lay the paint on. All easier said than done.

I used "Chroma Base" on mine...just because it's an automotive paint and easy to work with. One or two step (Two step is a clear coat).

If you wanna find all kinds of striping tape and a limited selection of graphics, you can check out "Northwest Auto Accessories" at ..like....52nd. and NE Sandy Blvd.

Not too difficult to do if you're a do-it-yourself-er, and have access to all the equipment. Let us know how you do.

Mark

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
I painted mine. Spent some time taking off any flake paint with some fine steel wool, then primed it with the special alum. primer. Then I painted it with a compressor and spray gun. I have a big shop at my office so I did it there. I also painted the entire inside with zolotone. This stuff looks beautiful, is so tough, and makes the boat look pretty new. I think I boat all the paint and primer at industrial finishes. I went ot the one one foster and 98th I think.
Then I redid my vinyl boat graphics. I'm in the sign business so I do alot of vinyl graphics.
she looks pretty nice now, much more up to date.
good luck

·
Registered
135 Posts
i am thinking of stripping all of the paint off of the sides of my jet boat and having some sort of a smooth bedliner type of material sprayed on it.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
FishinMission said it perfect but be carefull when using self-etching primer .I used it spraying line-x in the inside of boats the stuff is very powerfull so where a mask when spraying it and use it in a ventilated area.Even when I wore a mask I could still smell it.That stuff will knock you out quick.Its not like spray paint.
Good luck and I hope it turn out good!! :cheers:

·
Registered
845 Posts
Be carefull with using steel wool on aluminum, you will embed fibers in the aluminum and that will create corrosion problems later on. You are much better off using scotch brite pads.

You can also use "aircraft stripper" to get the old paint off. It is pretty nasty stuff but it will do the job quickly. Preparation is the key in painting aluminum, the green primer works good or you can get a "wash" from a paint store that will prep it pretty good.

MM

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Zaq...Use a heat gun, or if you don't have one...try a blow dryer. They soften up with heat. IN addition..MtnMan is correct...upon reflection..I used a Scotch Brite pad, not steel wool.

Mark

[ 06-07-2003, 05:48 AM: Message edited by: FishinMission ]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts