IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, i'm starting to spec out fixing up the ugly eastsider this summer. i'm wondering what i could use to safely remove the paint from the fiberglass to reveal the gelcoat. did fiberglass boats in the early 70's use gelcoat? i'm betting that underneath the blue paint and beyond the camo is the original color and it's probably in good shape.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
ampersat- ALL fiberglass boats have gelcoat. Even the multimillion dollar ones they coat over with Imron or Awlgrip when they're brand new. They sell special paint remover jsut for it. Most cases it's to take epoxy bottom paint off the hull after it's been layered on so thick it's an 1/8 inch thick and start peeling in chunks.
West marine sells it. Most articles I have seen on using it say to cover the stripper with something (Handy wrap or masking paper- can't remember) so it doesn't dry out and has plenty of time to soak into the paint and work. They also sell "strips" in buckets which already have the covering and the stripper is soaked in.
I don't know if the stripper that you can buy at Home Depot etc will hurt gel coat. I suspect not, it is very inert once it is catalized. You could try a spot and see (somehere that deosn't matter). If you do go with the Home Depot variety use Jascoe (nto sure of the spelling). I tried a couple other brands I had around the house on my Varnished teak steps and they didn't touch it. I bought the Jascoe (it was twice the price of everything else) and man that stuff bubbled that varnish up in no time. :shocked:
Good luck - and get a good buffer. You'll need to use somne serious compound to shine it up when you get done. :hoboy:
PS - Better wonder why it was painted over in the first place. :whazzup: You might uncover something you don't want to see. If so - you can spray it over with a good two part Polyurethane paint.

·
Registered
424 Posts
...you can spray it over with a good two part Polyurethane paint. ~Miss B Haven
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">How hard is this to do? How do you do it?
I recently got an older fiberglass driftboat for a good deal and I am wondering what it takes to give it a nice shine again. It is not bad looking but if I could cheaply fix it up I probably would.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.