IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to go out on a sea dory if they still do it this time of year. Anyone gone out on one? Do you have to number? Cost? Was it fun......

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
You may want to do some looking to confirm, but I'm pretty sure there is a festival of some sort (Dory Days??) coming up July 25-27th that may be offering rides out and back through the surf. I read this in some coast tourism last weekend when I was down there. Does Pacific City have a chamber of commerce you could call?

Definitely a unique experience. I had the great opportunity to fish with my grandfather for years when I was in my teens on his dory. Can't tell you how many times I ended up with water in my hip boots as I turned the boat around while he parked the rig and then pushed it out to deep enough water so he could fire the motor.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Goin' out through the surf is COOL. I used to go out with some friends from OSU on the Hi-Tide, GREAT fun and fishin'. Go out with an experienced Doryman and they make it look easy. On my last ride (unfortunatly many years ago) we slid so far up the beach I stepped out on to DAMP SAND!!!

·
Registered
862 Posts
From what I have seen, as long as the ocean is open for salmon, you can usually find dory boats/trailers on the beach in PC. There is a chamber of commerce in PC, although I'm not sure what the phone # is. Two weeks ago, it looked like the whole fleet was out.

Steelie28

G

·
Dory fishing is something that you NEED to do! What a blast! Here is some info - Haystack fishing club and Kiawanda Fishing Charters will take you fishing and do a great job.

I went out with Joe Hay (Haystack) last week and we really had a great time. Hope this helps!
Dave

[ 07-07-2003, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have gone out with Joe Hay of Haystack Fishing and he is REALLY great......he's an excellent boatsman, (very safe and conservative) excellent fisherman and a lot of fun. Highly recommended.

Regards

Fantom

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
C_B, i ran a 22 foot double ender out of Cape Kiwanda back in the 70"s. Its something you need to do. Our Dory was the FleaHead, painted bright international orange and we had a blast. Made many a trip for salmon and bottom fish. Dont know for sure but i beleave if you check around PC and ask a few questions you can pick up a ride.

·
Registered
129 Posts
We have a Harvey Dory that we run out of P.C. - during the coho season we try to run out a couple times a week. Dory fishing is the best because it is such a short run out to the fish (usually less then a couple of miles). This is nice because if the weather turns rough it is a short ride back to the beach. Taking a Dory is really pretty safe - for us we only go out if the weather and waves are right - best part is you can see what the weather is like at your fishing spot before you head out. Pacific City is great because the salmon are not very far out and you can also fish for sea bass just out by the rock. East Side Dave has listed a couple of charters that operate there - both are good. If you have any specific questions I would be happy to answer then - just shoot me a private message. R-R

1 - 8 of 8 Posts