IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's one that I have seen virtually no discussion about. Some might think that this is idiotic, but might nevertheless make for interesting conversation.

ODFW has lottery systems for some big game hunts (sheep, elk, etc.). Generally these are once-in-a-liftime opportunities. Also there are some states in the midwest that have once-in-a-liftime tags for certain types of fish - Gar I think.

So, I'm curious if this type of a system might raise some $$ for ODWF/Conservation efforts as well as give some lucky guy the opportunity to harvest a big fish. ODFW could work with WDFW and set up a lottery system, the wnner of which could be entitled to catch and keep one oversized sturgeon. Maybe with the condition that the "winner" would provide the carcass to biologists.

Just a crazy idea, maybe? I have a feeling I'm going to get pounced on again here - :laugh:

ORS

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Not sure I would want to open the door to "controlled hunts" for fish. Definately opposed to oversize harvest. Could see a lottery for catch and release, but I say give the big guys a rest.

Freak

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Why would anyone keep an oversize girl anyway. The meat has no real quality to it. I don't know fishhand, but I bet it's alot like keeping a large halibut. I can't see them ever allowing retention anyway, as these are the prime spawning fish. As long as they allow sturgeon fishing period, there will always be large fishe targeted or cught anyway, so a lottery of controlled season really would be difficult to manage.
GBs

·
Registered
348 Posts
A sturgeon that is of keeper size at around 44" takes 15 years to get there.....according to ODFW...I don't want to see a season for oversized sturgeon that are up to a 100 years old

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Even if the money would go to the fish and game instead of the "general fund" it would never happen. To many feathers would be ruffled.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Although I can't imagine keeping one, a draw or permit system may work for managing general catch and release opportunities for oversize. If something isn't put in place, they will be off limits for all.

SureSet

·
Registered
15,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another thing I've noticed that Oregon doesn't have, which other states do, is a short term hunting lisence. Washington has a 3-day small game, non-res lisence for $54.75. We have a one-day for salmon, trout, steelhead, etc., but what about the guy or gal who wants to go out and try bird hunting for one day - maybe at a private club. Or someone who comes from out of state (like my bro-in-law) who wants to go wing shooting for a day. They have to buy EVRYTHING as if they are gonig to hunt everything. Thoughts here?

ORS

[ 10-20-2003, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: OregonRedside ]

·
Registered
163 Posts
Man your talkin about killing off the brood stock ! Put me down for a NO vote !!!
Big Dave.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I say let them live and reproduce lets stop targetting them all together. I am for shutting down catch and release of sturgeon all together.
and that comes from someone that fishs for sturgeon 90% of his fishing trips.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
One other point to think about is that the big girls have been in the river for 30 to 50 years. All that time they have been soaking in heavy metals and other inorganic contaminates. I wouldn't want to eat one. Look at the restrictions in place for consumption of fish in the Snake and Columbia. The longer lived fish are the ones you aren't supposed to eat in large quantities.

·
Registered
15,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup - pounce, pounce, pounce :laugh: :laugh:
Someone I was talking to brought this subject up the other day, so I just thought I'd throw it out. I would agree that the brood stock should be preserved. But, as I indicated, it would likely make for quite a profit cow for the DFW. There are probably tons of meat fishers that would salivate over the possibility - despite the heavy metal issues.

ORS

[ 10-20-2003, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: OregonRedside ]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts