IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are seriously considering listing our 5th wheel toy hauler for rent on Outdoorsy. We have plenty of positive reviews from friends who rent their RV's from there, but don't know anyone who actually rents theirs out.

There's obviously risk involved, but their insurance coverage seems legit? Any real life, actual experiences and reviews would be very much appreciated!

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
We thought about doing that with our travel trailer as well, but my type A personality just can't let go enough to do it! I'm VERY particular about my things and I try to keep them in the best condition I can within reason. The thought of others not doing that to my stuff alarms me.

Please keep us updated though, should you decide to do it!

-jokester

Reactions: shouldbehunting

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We thought about doing that with our travel trailer as well, but my type A personality just can't let go enough to do it! I'm VERY particular about my things and I try to keep them in the best condition I can within reason. The thought of others not doing that to my stuff alarms me.

Please keep us updated though, should you decide to do it!

-jokester
Will definitely keep everyone updated. My 5th wheel is very nice but not new and has some blemishes. I feel it's a perfect size of a 5th wheel and not too heavy; 34ft long, double, not triple axle, and weighs 10500 when on the hitch. The only thing that makes me nervous is that not everyone could/should be driving something that big. We are going to offer delivery for a modest price to take away some of that anxiety.

Lol...I wonder if I can make them take a 5th wheel driving test??

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Will definitely keep everyone updated. My 5th wheel is very nice but not new and has some blemishes. I feel it's a perfect size of a 5th wheel and not too heavy; 34ft long, double, not triple axle, and weighs 10500 when on the hitch. The only thing that makes me nervous is that not everyone could/should be driving something that big. We are going to offer delivery for a modest price to take away some of that anxiety.

Lol...I wonder if I can make them take a 5th wheel driving test??
And I too would be worried about that! Not everyone realizes it takes a little more room to turn.

-jokester

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
And I too would be worried about that! Not everyone realizes it takes a little more room to turn.

-jokester
Its funny you say that. Watched a guy just this morning run a very large fir limb right down the top of his passenger side roof line. The limb was probably as big around as a softball and was bouncing off it as it took pieces of the membrane off.

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,314 Posts
The only good part of it being a 5th wheel is if they show up with a 5th wheel hitch of the proper size, chances are they have driven around with one on the back before.

Reactions: jokester

·
Registered
7,377 Posts
The only good part of it being a 5th wheel is if they show up with a 5th wheel hitch of the proper size, chances are they have driven around with one on the back before.
But perhaps not very well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
656 Posts
My brother has his on rvshare… he often does the delivery and set up. He has not had issues yet. He makes a bunch of $$$ doing it. He lives in bend so that helps too.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I don't think I could rent one of my nicest toys to someone who's maybe a first-time RVer. Or maybe anyone else for that matter.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Thanks for making me look. I've been wondering about renting RVs for awhile and this seemed like a good opportunity. Just rented one for two nights at $230 all in for a 27' bumper pull.
When we buy one would we rent it? Hell no. Look at all the idiots at the ramp on a Sunday afternoon.
But for me it's a great opportunity to try different sizes and setups.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Renters seldom take the same care as owners. My 5-cents

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Wife and I have 1 booked for Dave Matthew's at the Gorge Ampitheatre near Ellensburg WA this labor day weekend. We've pulled one over before and realized the hassle and the extra day rental to load it up and have it dialed in wasn't worth it. And leaving extra early to be home on check in day by 11 was a inconvenience also. We simply meet the dude at the campground Thursday afternoon, get the low down on the in and outs of all the controls, hand keys over and meets us back there Monday morning to haul his rv home. I believe it was 150$ for the delivery and haul off.
. If one had the time and an extra rv sitting around that's in good shape, I would definitly think about going this route. Lots of people looking to be outdoorsy these days that have zero means to pull an rv, but have the $$ to rent one for the weekend. And I hear rv renting buisness is a boomin.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I could never do it with our RV. I'm way to OCD and I know I would get frustrated and things would drive me crazy. Things broke, scratched, used in ways I don't want. people dont care about your things like you do. Not to mention a bunch of random people using my toilet.... 😬 now I have considered buying a class c or sprinter type or 2 and use them strictly for rent. I actually have 2 buddies who have done that and have had great success. Obviously have to have some $ to play with and the risk of the market falling out from under ya but it seems like the new thing is getting out. A lot rent for extended period and use them to travel and work remote at the same time. I don't see that changing. My one friends motorhome touched almost all lower 48 states last year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts