IFish Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Maybe ESPN 8 "The Ocho" will pick up the show... they could televize it right after dodgeball! Pepper Brooks is one heck of a play by play guy.

·
Vendor
9,584 Posts
I've been a guest on his show twice, and Owin really made it fun and easy both times. His tech guy Matt was also super helpful. The two of them worked very well together. I hope they find a way to continue.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Man this sucks! I think Owin's tech guy Matt is with Ashley from Bad Ash outdoors. She recently started a show on NBC sports NW. I wonder if her show will be canceled also.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Good riddance! That guy only gets it right half the time. He's like a bullhorn . . . here I am! Here I am! Come over here and bring a crowd with you! Is Rykat stirring the pot again? BWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAAA. Btw, I don't watch it coz I won't pay for cable . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . but you know I would if I did. Shocker. I do hear mixed reviews about the show and how reliable it is. Everyone agrees though . . it's very entertaining-from what I hear. They'll find a home and maybe I'll get to watch it now.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I, too, hope he finds another home. I also hope whomever takes him on encourages him to spend a little time informing himself, and enlightening his viewers, on some of the the ins and outs of fishery management. Most recent example: the way he says the CR run will "magically" change from spring Chinook to "Quote unquote summer Chinook"
Not sure if he was sarcastic, but just a statistical boundary. At some point the count has to reflect summer vs spring. It floats and mixes, but there has to be a delineation.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
I like the show for the guests and callers that Owen has on. They provide as much Intel as he does. I have called in and been on air 4 times to make reports on areas, and I have never had him be rude to me.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Next time you watch take note of the number of Public Service Announcements. Those are unpaid ads. Since Covid hit he has lost a number of advertisers. I expect Owin is expected to find a certain number of sponsor dollars to keep the show going. I've been wondering how long the show would last due to the loss of sponsors. It would be interesting to know who owns the Outdoor GPS name. Hopefully they won't go to Facebook only.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Root is a superior channel overall. I hope they can legally pick up Owin's show. Owin does a great job of adding in fishing segments for Eastern Oregon, Eastern Washington, rural Oregon and rural Washington. He would be popular there. These area's all carry Root. Problem was the content wasn't reaching these populations due to the fact CSNNW did not have contracts with Charter Cable, dish, and directtv. As for streaming- old folks aren't on to it yet haha.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I, too, hope he finds another home. I also hope whomever takes him on encourages him to spend a little time informing himself, and enlightening his viewers, on some of the the ins and outs of fishery management. Most recent example: the way he says the CR run will "magically" change from spring Chinook to "Quote unquote summer Chinook"
Please enlighten us. So what does happen with the count when it changes from 5/31 to 6/1...

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Please enlighten us. So what does happen with the count when it changes from 5/31 to 6/1...
For management purposes, nothing. They decided about 17 years ago that June 15 made a better date to start counting Chinook as Summer runs. If you compare the passage graphs for Priest Rapids Dam, the first dam above the confluence with the Snake, and Ice Harbor, the first dam on the Snake, you will see that the vast majority of Chinook moving upriver through mid June are headed up the Snake. They are managed as Snake spring/summer Chinook. After mid June the vast majority are headed for the upper Columbia, and are managed as Columbia Summer Chinook.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Not sure if he was sarcastic, but just a statistical boundary. At some point the count has to reflect summer vs spring. It floats and mixes, but there has to be a delineation.
My point is that he does not seem to acknowledge that there is a difference between springers and summers, and implying, at least it seems to me, that the difference is only something the "Idget" managers make up.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Good riddance! That guy only gets it right half the time. He's like a bullhorn . . . here I am! Here I am! Come over here and bring a crowd with you! Is Rykat stirring the pot again? BWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAAA. Btw, I don't watch it coz I won't pay for cable . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . but you know I would if I did. Shocker. I do hear mixed reviews about the show and how reliable it is. Everyone agrees though . . it's very entertaining-from what I hear. They'll find a home and maybe I'll get to watch it now.
Get a Life:eek:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Addicted: Millennials

Outdoor GPS: My dad and his friends lol
I find it interesting that they both do live fishing shows, just on different streams. Addicted has a huge following on their Wednesday broadcasts via YouTube, and Outdoor GPS is the ol' traditional turn on the TV set with a coffee and watch. Could Owin/would Owin want to change platforms and lose a lot of his older generation base, but probably gain a large, younger following?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I find it interesting that they both do live fishing shows, just on different streams. Addicted has a huge following on their Wednesday broadcasts via YouTube, and Outdoor GPS is the ol' traditional turn on the TV set with a coffee and watch. Could Owin/would Owin want to change platforms and lose a lot of his older generation base, but probably gain a large, younger following?
IMO forward thinking it would be better for GPS to tap into the younger generation of fisherman and move in the direction of youtube etc. to get the eyeballs tuning in (I could be way off though). Just look at what the addicted guys have done with their YouTube, they have even attracted some of the older crowd. They make NW fishing easy to understand, keep you engaged with interest and they have a ton of other options outside of the live feeds on wednesday. And they release a TON of content that covers a swath of different fisheries/techniques. GPS is kind of a 1 trick pony for lack of a better term.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts