IFish.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
Well, I'd just like to thank everyone for such ANOTHER great trip to Oregon...specifically MarK MC for the many phone calls and advice. We almost didn't come because of sketchy weather forecasted for Sunday...and we ended up getting it. That's ok, because Saturday was one of the best fishing days of my life.
Let's start at the beginning...basically I've been dying down here reading stories about all the wacking and stacking going on up there when we've been stuck on the beach with tons of wind and cold water. I suggested to my dad a few weeks ago that we plan a trip up to Oregon once summer school gets out. It was all in the works and the forecast was even good for our trip...that was until I check the forecast Thursday morning the day we were supposed to leave. After many frantic emails, phone calls, and posts...I decided that we weren't going. Too far to travel for just one day of fishing.
I checked the forecast again at 4 pm and they changed it back to sunday being nice...I called my pa and said we were on!!! I got to his house by 6:30 pm and we were on the road by 7 (after fixing the trailer lights...why do those always go out!). We drove until about 2 a.m. stopping just S of Redding. Got up at 6 the next morning and got back on the road. Stopped for gas in Grants Pass and notice some strange vibration on the trailer. Checked everything out, but it looks ok. Got about a mile down the road and we get blow out #1. Pulled off at the rest stop just down the road and changed the tire in about 40 minutes (lug nuts were a little stuck). We stop in Sutherlin to get a new tire at Les Swchab and had lunch with my Aunt & Uncle from Elkton. The tire guy says those tires are old and that we ought to replace the others. I love my dad, he's one of the greatest people I've ever known, but he is one of the cheapest people I've ever met! As they say, you can take the poor Okie out of the valley...but you can't take the poor Okie out of the boy. Anyhow, we didn't get a set...more about that soon.
So we have a nice lunch and head out of Sutherlin around 1:30. Just past Coberg we experience blow out #2. This time we change the tire in about 30 minutes. Head on in to Corvallis and get ONE more new tire. Head out and pull in to my buddy Doug's (red floater) house in Toledo about 5 pm. Wow...long trip. Doug gets me a Rogue beer and takes me in to his woods for some mushrooms that he thinks popped out with the last rain.

There were chantrelles and lobsters everywhere...we picked a few for our tuna dinner the next night. We had razor clams and something else for dinner that night (sorry Dawn...the clams were so good I forgot what else we had).
My fishing partners for the next day were Troy and Joe, both of which I worked with and went to grad school with at OSU. Troy pulled in about 10 pm from Astoria, while Joe pulled in around 11 pm from Corvallis.
We were up at 4:30 a.m. and in the water at 5:30 a.m. in Depoe Bay. We headed out through the hole to find calm waters and a grey sky. I punched in the numbers from the day before (Thanks Nancy) and headed out. It was pretty dang nice as we made about 20-25 mph on the way out. It was cold on the inside, but at about 8 miles it began to climb and before long we hit 62 degree water. About 14 miles out it is 63.3 and I think I see some jumpers. We put the jigs out and continue trolling W. About 10 minutes in to trolling the wisky line w/ cedar plug goes off. I take the rod out the rocket launcher and hand it to Joe to battle his first tuna ever. After a solid battle, I gaff his first fish. Joe's got a big smile on his face and can't believe how hard this fish fought.

We put the jigs back out, do a quick box and continue W. Pretty soon the radio starts lighting up with reports of fish being caught. I scan the curser around and the numbers are all over the place...5 mile N, 10 mile S, 15 mile W...right where we are! We troll to about 17 out and get a double. Box that area and pick up another 10 minutes later. We are in Tuna heaven, with grins to prove it!!!

We hit a little dry spell and contemplate running to some other area. Joe then suggest that he busts out his cobbler! Hey, sounds great. But first he needs his whipping cream and wisk!!! Are you kidding me. He busts his quart of whipping cream out, wipes off the tuna blood (it was on ice with the tuna) and promptly whips up some fresh whipping cream. He then pulls out his huge flat of blackberry cobbler and douses it with the cream...we are truly in tuna heaven:)

Soon after cramming a few mouth fulls of this delictable dessert in my mouth another rod goes off. We are getting a few on clones and a few on swim baits...this one comes on a clone, but we leave the swimbaits in the water to drag behind us while we fight the fish. About half way in to fighting the fish, all of a sudden the outrigger rod bends in half and the clip pops..."That's strange" we all mumble...then finally someone shouts "fish on the swim bait!" Turned the single in to a double! We never lit it up, but it was a very steady pick on fish. We had two more singles that we turned in to doubles by casting lures. Joe got one on a iron and my dad got one on a swimbait. Joe's fish hit his lure as he was trying to get it out of the way of Troy fighting his fish. He said it slammed his jig. He was stoked. It was now about 10:30 and we had 15 fish in the boat...just about every orofice was filled on the boat and most our ice was packed around fish. We started trolling in and figured we might pick up a few that we have to find room for. We pick up one immediately and then another about 10:45. This is a nice fish and Troy fights another big fish for quite some time. We finally get it to the gaff and it is our biggest fish of the day. Perfect way to end the day.

We decide we have plenty of fish and don't want to keep a warm fish...so we head in to try for Coho. We have 3 on, but none to the box in 45 mins, so we head in for our long carking session.
Met several Salty Dogs in the cleaning station, including John (Pilar). Had a good time carking and chatting with the locals. Finally got done and back to Doug's house about 4 p.m. Took a quick power nap, then fired up the BBQ for some fresh grilled tuna with chantrelle sauce and oysters Doug picked up that day. Man, what a perfect day!!!
Unfortunately the next day the weather picked up about 18 hours sooner than forecasted. Headed through Depoe Bay hole a little after 5 a.m. to find it quite lumpy. Pounded our way out to about 10 miles and dropped the jigs in. Had tunagin Doug on the boat and wanted him to get a tuna...plus we didn't want to tow 1600 miles for one day of fishing. We started out 0/4 breaking two off on the handlines and two on rods (after going 17/18 the day before)..we thought we were going to be snakebit. We stuck at it and finally managed to put 4 fish in the box, but it was ugly out there. We headed in around noon, tired and sore from getting tossed about all day.
My pa and I headed down to my uncles house the next day, but not until experiencing blow out #3 on the way to Corvallis...we finally got the other tire changed out, he didn't want to wait for blow out #4. Thank goodness. Got to my uncles and proceeded to can 127 pints of tuna over the next day. He's got a canning kitchen and we had 4 pressure cookers going at once. definitely the way to go.
Hit the road at 8:30 a.m. on Wednesday and were in SLO by 9:30 p.m.
It was a great trip. Good times fishing with old friends and a great trip with my pop.
Thanks again to the Salty Dogs. I'll see you again next summer.
best fishes,
steve

·
Registered
486 Posts
Great story! Made me feel like I was there. Glad you had a good time. I'm still looking for my first trip :(

·
Registered
11,461 Posts
Awesome! :cheers: Glad your long road trip was a success. Ah yes Tuna Bliss, It's contagious, I've had it good for over a month now, Can't imagine how it could get any better, we are truly blessed here in Oregon. :angel: See ya next year.:wave:

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Great story. :applause:
Glad that you got into the fish and got to see what Oregon Fishing is really like. :grin:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Cobbler & whipped cream! You are setting a standard which will be hard to match. Enjoyed you odessy & presume next trip you will change tire manufactures.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts