IFish.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not yet but it could happen if The Oregon Cattlemen's Association and there hired gun Senator Ferrioli have their way. I know ifish has a plate full fighting for the hatchery program. That doesn't mean you/we can ignore something as dangerous as Senate Bill 293.

If passed as amended, this bill will make it possible for private landowners to claim state owned land as their own, allow private pay to fish clubs to lock up hundreds of miles of Oregon streams for their exclusive use, and even overturn the navigability declarations on the Chetco, Coos, Coquille, Klamath, McKenzie, Rogue, Sandy, and Umpqua Rivers. Once we loose navigability, we can loose anchoring, wading, and fishing rights, too.

Time to break out the 'ol pen and ink and write your senators. To get a copy of Senate Bill 293 and the proposed Cattlemen's Association and Sandy River owner amendments call (503) 986-1688 and they nice folks there will fax or mail the bill as printed and all amendments associated with the bill.

The Northwest Steelheaders and a few private individuals like me have been fighting this but we are out gunned and out financed.

Been lurking for a awhile but believe this is to big an issue to remain silent. Sorry my first official post ruined the opening day of trout season with more bad news from Salem...

If this thing passes, you may not have the right to float the rivers those hatchery fish swim in pretty soon. Get angry now!

Scruffy

P.S. If you want me to post more specific information about this I will. Just ask. Infromation posts can be long because this is a complicated issue.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Hmmm. Maybe we should boycott Oregon grown beef. That would start to make a difference.
How about obtaining a list of all members of Oregon Cattleman and sending them letters announcing the boycott by over 4,000 fisherpeople. I could go a couple months without beef, couldn't you?

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
HHmmmm, you might be on to something there Catch.........

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Squire,

The link only takes you to the original bill. You can't access the amendments Senator Feriolli tacked on. Those amendments will make it possible for landowners to close off miles of river for use by "Organizational Camps" which are nothing more than private fishing clubs that only people with money... lots of money can access.

Senate Bill 293 will also make it possible for landowners to have Oregon Navigability Delcarations overturned. The banks and beds of rivers like the Chetco, Rogue, and McKenzie could become off limits to anchoring and wading. That will make it a little tough to fish, don't you think?

To find out more read MooseTurds post.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Well that ain't nice... um.. time to come up with a nice little generic letter people can just print out and sign..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts