IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
That new gross business income tax money will come rolling in soon. Or, maybe it will suck up the kicker money? It will be up to the governor and the legislative leadership to solve.
Lol, you made me laugh and almost spit my drink up. Solve, they can't find their way out of a wet paper sack. Just create another tax. Sad leaders we have.

·
Registered
16,643 Posts
Naw. The gov will grab it all and sink it into setting up a big muti million dollar forest management study group.
Eventually into another agency that has deep pockets, and no expertise. All for our benefit! :excited:
Pessimist? ME???

Either way, it'll disappear.
A big ta do about nuttin'.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Should the verdict be upheld, it will mean more trouble for salmon runs in Oregon state forests as the DOF increases timber cutting to fulfill its contractual obligations. More money for humans and more decimation for salmon. Same ole, same ole and nothin' else new.

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Should the verdict be upheld, it will mean more trouble for salmon runs in Oregon state forests as the DOF increases timber cutting to fulfill its contractual obligations. More money for humans and more decimation for salmon. Same ole, same ole and nothin' else new.
County governments want their timber money. What can ya do?

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
County governments want their timber money. What can ya do?

Of course, the counties want their money, who doesn't? But, in the end, it still means more trees being cut and less management for all interests, including those of salmon. The focus will now be on a massive cutting in order to give the counties their money. Will the onslaught by humans against salmon ever end? Answer; NO!

But, to be fair to humans, here is some additional info from another article on the lawsuit:

"The jury found that the state owed those counties $1.1 billion in damages, including $674 million the counties contend they lost since 2001 because the state didn’t cut enough trees. The verdict also includes $392 million in future damages, which assumes the state will continue to manage the state forests in the same fashion, and fail to maximize timber revenues for the next 50 years."

So, I guess it is possible that since the counties' verdict includes future damages for the anticipated failure to cut trees in accordance with contractual requirements over the next 50 years, the state can eliminate the kicker and just pay the counties the money without increasing the timber cut. Or, the state could ask the courts to waive that portion of the judgment and simply cut the trees in accordance with the counties' interpretation of the contract. But, in the final analysis, I would suspect that the fish will not get off without any further damage by the time this is over. Of course, I have no faith in humans to do what is right as far as salmon runs are concerned, so I will admit to be overly pessimistic.

·
Registered
17,475 Posts
Yes, if you believe the value of publicly owned state forests is measured solely in the value of board feet of timber, then it's one in the win column. (pending appeal)

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I smell a new business tax being rolled out for me in 3...2.....1.....

I love the new ways they get to tax me. I just got my first installment of the new "statewide transit tax" that I get to pay that is based on how much I pay my employees.

doh:

tc

·
Registered
16,643 Posts
I smell a new business tax being rolled out for me in 3...2.....1.....

I love the new ways they get to tax me. I just got my first installment of the new "statewide transit tax" that I get to pay that is based on how much I pay my employees.

doh:

tc
Don't pay them. :D

1 - 20 of 122 Posts