IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oregon City. Water is a little off color but very fishable. It's dropping and looks like it will clear up well for tomorrow. There were about 25 fish or so caught by 1:00 today. Still an egg fishery though. Those with good eggs were having multiple hook ups. SPACE FISH

[ 04-28-2003, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: Space Fish? ]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
SpaceFish,

Thanks for the report.

I'll probably take a run up tomorrow but no eggs. I'll try prawns and herring and hope for the best.

I might give those plugs that FearNoFish used on the Wind River.

Brion

·
Registered
568 Posts
Space...

I also heard that Sellwood really heated up today...Should be good tomorrow as well. OC will be ON FIRE by Tuesday/Wednesday!

Scott

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scott, I got a call from Terry Seemster who fished the Sellwood today. He boated 4 and said there wasn't much going on. Some here and there. Bet your on the money though.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Originally posted by Space Fish?:
.. He boated 4 and said there wasn't much going on. ...
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">This amazes me. If I ever caught ONE there would be A LOT going on !

·
Registered
125 Posts
Showed up at oc today around 2:00, fished till about 6:00 or so, there were a number of hookups from what I heard the morning bit was even better. (The bear) hade one monster take down,he went to grab the poll, and nothing there :hoboy: eggs and sandshrimp seem to be the ticket. Will be back out tomorrow to see what happens. water temp 53 with a little color, should be great tomorrow.
chris

·
Banned
1,433 Posts
I was out this morning, it was pretty slow from what I could tell. I lost a spastic fish that took my egg/prawn combo from the side at about 80 miles per hour.

I was also out this evening, and it was even slower. BUT - there are fish spread out through out the river, so wherever you go you have a decent chance at a fish. Springers are caught in the Willy, Clack and Sandy through June or longer.

·
Banned
1,433 Posts
Spacefish - I've seen you mention 'good eggs' a couple of times. That's a good thing, but I'd like to instill a more permanent thought I learned a long time ago "UNLESS YOU'RE FISHING WITH GOOD BAIT, YOU'RE NOT FISHING" . Remember that and you're success rate will go up.

Unless you have good quality bait, be it eggs, sandshrimp, prawns or herring, you're not really fishing. Really! If I don't have the best quality bait possible, I'll use hardware of some sort.

So - given that lets look at the possibilities. Backbouncing eggs at OC (or anywhere) are always a good bet. Backbouncing sandshrimp (with a metallic green spin and glow) is also a good bet. Prawns will also catch fish. BUT - what if you don't have good eggs, and can't find good (unstinky?) sandshrimp???

What about backtrolling or backbouncing a prawn with a thin slice of sardine wrapped to it's belly?
It just might catch a fish! Give it a try some time. :wink:

Fish aren't as sophisticated as we think they are. Fresh bait alone or in combination with other fresh bait will always catch fish. Bank on it. :smile:

·
Registered
344 Posts
lost sailor said it, <font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">This amazes me. If I ever caught ONE there would be A LOT going on !

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey there WheresMyBobber, You are absoutley correct about the good bait. I should be more specific about what I'm trying to get across. I have been fishing eggs in Oregon City. I have some that I have cured myself. They work great on Steelies in the Clack but not on Springers in the Willy. I've tried messing with my eggs to get them to work better. I have also picked up a tub of Guides Choice eggs to see if they work better than mine. The answer is no. They aren't working for me any better. So my point is, the eggs my be great eggs but are they catching fish. Thankyou, I will try to be more specific in the future. SPACE

1 - 12 of 12 Posts