IFish.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we all had a blast last night. Took my boat out with onecast, his son, driftboater, and another buddy. Pretty crowded in the 16' starcraft, but we managed. Would'nt say it was hot, we moved around a few times but managed 26, some of which were real big fatties. highlight of the evening was the big summer run steelie I hooked on a dick nite. I was lazily fighting this thing, kinda thinking it was a huge shad, until my steelhead rod was buried under the boat. Finally figuring it out I realized he was headed into the lower unit, so I quickly handed the rod to the back to try and free him. No dice!! He rolled and SNAP!! Onecast and another saw him and said it was a beauty. Bummer!! Oh well, that's fishing I guess!
The real bummer occured when I picked folks up off the bank, backed out and nailed a submerged rock(right next to the outtake pipe by the RV parking)on the bank. BEWARE!!
Munched some of my composite prop. I hate that!!!
Stuff happens I guess, and lessons are expensive.
Got home at 9:30 and REALLY enjoyed bagging those slimy, smelly dogs. Is there anything worse than the "schmutz" at the bottom of a big cooler??? :hoboy:
As for the hot lure, we tried everything and the bathroom sink. Small dick nite silver with the flo. red tip was the go to lure. 28" dropper, 42" leader. Middle of the river in 20'.
Thanks to the guys next to us for the off beat sense of humor, always a bonus!!
GBS

[ 06-04-2003, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: greenbuttskunk ]

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sounds like you had fun even with the prop problem. I am going to try to get back up there this week after work if I can get my boat put back together. Had a leak in the gas line. It is not good to smell gas all day not to mention the safety issue.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hey GBS,

We saw you go by us on your way into the Clack.

We were in a baby-blue 18'Starcraft that makes your boat look brand new!(This one is a 1966)
Sorry to hear about the prop :depressed:

Fishing was good for us also I was up till midnite
processing garbage bags. We ended up with 45 fish for two hours fishing. :grin: :cheers:

·
Registered
120 Posts
wanted to say thanks for the invite and it was a nice fish it could have been a 15# shad with attitude.

ONECAST

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry to hear about the prop! :rolleyes: Hate it when something gets dinged or damaged! Thats fish'n! Had a couple incidents myself. Them shad are fun to catch. Hope to get out this weekend and try it again. See ya out there sometime! :cheers:

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey Play,
yep saw you too. Was commenting on your boat. Looks like it in good shape, it's a closed bow right. Pretty beamy. Love my Starcraft, but I have to do some work on the splashwell, it's come
loose from the body/gunnel on one side. need to put some rivits in from underside. Going to sell her this fall or winter. Moving up to a 21' lund type next spring hopefully.
glad you guys did so well, better than most out there. Were you up by the falls?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hey Snooky,
You were 1/4 mile from my place and couldn't give an invite huh. What are you going to do with the shad? Did you see the Blue Water up there? My parents were up there because my brother and I were busy. I guess my Mom hooked a chinook that took line for about 5 seconds, then jumped and spit the hook. Did anybody else see that happen to a black and grey blue water, or was it a BS story to get me going.

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, we were just below you and saw that, I figured that was no common shad. That must have rought some excitment to the boat.

·
Registered
190 Posts
GBS,
Yes it is a closed bow, but I can't take credit for it. I was in my buddies boat. I have a '78 16'open bow Starcraft, but I was just a passenger the other night. I too have had to replace a few rivets on my boat. When I bought it a few years ago it leaked pretty good. Two rivets later and now I can't get my bilge pump to work anymore, bone dry :grin: :grin:
Jesse I didn't realize that's where you are :shrug: Sorry man, that was my first trip for shad, and also my first trip to that stretch of the Willamette. So did you see Grant lost in the semi's in baseball?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yeah those guys did great this year. I was following them all year and it sounds like some of the guys off my team last year were getting more playing time at the end. That's great.

I'll be going after shad tommorow in that same spot. The district I teach in is out for the year as of today so it's party time now. Going after lunkers Sunday. I am going in a buddies boat but if you aren't doing anything you should head up there. All you need is a better anchor and add some rope and you are set. YOu could anchor next to us and I'll show you how to do it. Last time I had time to go was about 3 weeks ago. We had 8 stripping line, hooked 6, and landed 4. We spent about 8 hours on the river and only about 2 1/2 anchored. We were fishing 2 poles for 4 of us at the end so we could rest. If you want to meet us up there I'll show you how it's done. Let me know Tim.

GBS: My parents said that "the guys behind us were looking back when it jumped" so that must have been you. My old man wasn't fast enough on the anchor and it sounded like you would have been a tough obstacle anyway. Well hopefully my brother and I can get lucky tommorow.

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
play,
Sounds like you have my boat. 1976 16' open bow starcraft with a '75 70hp johnson. I've repainted it inside and out so it really looks pretty nice. Pulled out the lound style setting and mounted two swivel fold down over 1/4" alum. base plates. More room and flexibility. I also closed off the area at the bow, installed a screw-on hatch cover to hold rope, pee can, stuff like that. It does leak just a tad, and I need to replace the bilge. Other than that, I've put a ton of hours on her, from bouy 10 to crabbing, to knee boarding. It's been a fantastic boat and it's really rigged to fish. She'll be a good boat for somebody when
I go to sell her.

[ 06-06-2003, 07:41 AM: Message edited by: greenbuttskunk ]

·
Registered
190 Posts
Jesse,
Thanks for the invite, but I must decline. Momma and I are home shopping for the forseable future :depressed: Good Luck on the oversized! :grin:

GBS,
Ya man my boat only has the 55hp Johnson. I wish I had that 3rd cylinder. Do you have tilt and trim? Might have to talk to you when you get ready to sell her :grin:

Bouy 10 huh??I have done most of the fisheries here except for Buoy 10 in my boat. I hop into the 18' for that :grin:

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll keep you in mind when I sell her. Bouy 10 under the right conditions only. So far no mishaps but good judgement is always involved. Mostly I just stay up river and do just as well anyway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts