IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you be able to direct me to information regarding the rules and regulations about this new must have certification?? And, is there something simular in the laws for Washington State?? I'm planning on hitting the water in my dads 12ft almunim boat with a 9 Horse Johnson....I heard anything over 10 hp had to have the certification...but I want to be sure....thanks in advance...

Jeff

[ 09-17-2003, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: Fisherfield ]

·
Registered
172 Posts
Check out boatoregon.com, this has lots of imnformation about the oregon state Marine board. It has the rundown on the boater certification that you are talking about.

FOD

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
If you're asking about the Oregon Boaters cert, you don't need it if you are licensed in WA. Don't know what WA requires.
OR info can be picked up at any OSMB outlet (GI Joes is one). Here's a link as well:

http://www.marinebd.osmb.state.or.us/

·
Registered
187 Posts
How safe is it to put a 12' boat in the columbia??? and how heavy of anchor would I need to hold in the current??

Thanks

jb

·
Registered
348 Posts
Please don't ever put a 12 foot boat in the columbia for your own safety please don't. A boater with a boat that has less then a 10 hp motor is not required to have a boaters education card.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
If you are 30 or older you don't need one this year.. but since your boat only has a 9.9hp. You don't need one. Remember 9.9 isn't 10hp

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the information. The boat is registered in Oregon with my father and my name on the title....Don't know about any rules broken there since I am a Washington resident...SHHH... I checked out the site mentioned and it states greater than 10 hp..so I'm just fine there...and only a month left until I'm 30..which I guess won't matter much next year. I suppose it would be good to have the certification either way...so I'm more prepared for boating. I've fished this boat many times on the Willamette and various lakes...but never on the Columbia...like I'll be fishing Saturday with a fellow Ifisher. If you see, 2 GUYS IN A LITTLE BOAT (sung like Chris Farley's FAT GUY IN A LITTLE COAT) say hello. We are planning on fishing out of Longview...and hopefully end up with more than a suntan...

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Not required in Washington but there's nothing wrong with an education.The Coast Gaurd Auxilary offers classes and all it will cost you is the price of the book.Be safe out there and come back in one piece please.
TonTo :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts