IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been discussed on the forum somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.
I am an Oregon resident with a resident tag, I also have a WA non-resident tag. So my question is: If I am fishing on the Columbia, launching from Oregon, can I use my WA tag? I know I can't use both. But if the WA regulations are better at the time, could I use the WA tag or do I have to use my resident state's tag?

· Registered
10,928 Posts
As long as I have fished the Columbia, the regs have always been the same, as far as bag limits go. I think there are some other subtle differences, such as fishing at night, and whether you can keep "fishing for steelhead" after you've filled your salmon limit. In any case, you can fish, from a boat, on either state's license, and put in from a ramp in either state while doing so.

· Registered
2,611 Posts
Aren't the OR & WA regs exactly the same for the CR (for Salmon & Gators)?
No.... they're not the same. For instance, us Wa. fishers can keep two salmon AND two steelhead, while the Or. law reads, two salmon OR two steelhead, or one of each.....

Not that that's an issue since I usually head home not having to rinse my fish box...... :sick:

But to answer your original question, I would think if you have a Wa. license, you could tag 'em on that card, and enjoy the more liberal regs under the Wa. license......

· Registered
5,496 Posts
WAC 220-55-210

Oregon license reciprocity.

</B>(1) A person may, from a vessel or other floating device, fish for game fish, food fish, unclassified fish, and shellfish, unless otherwise prohibited, from Pacific Ocean waters within three miles of the Washington coast from Leadbetter Point to the Washington-Oregon boundary, and from the concurrent waters of the Columbia River where the river forms the boundary between Oregon and Washington if the person possesses a valid Oregon resident angling license or a valid Oregon resident shellfish license, but only if Oregon recognizes as valid a comparable Washington personal use license in Pacific Ocean waters within three miles of the Oregon coast from the Oregon-Washington boundary to Cape Falcon and the concurrent waters of the Columbia River.

(2) This reciprocity applies only to fishing from a vessel or other floating device. Fishing from the Washington shore requires a Washington personal use license.

(3) This reciprocity applies only to Oregon residents, and residents of other states must possess either a valid Washington license or a valid Oregon license to take game fish, food fish, unclassified fish, and shellfish from the waters of the respective states.

(4) Any game fish, food fish, unclassified fish, or shellfish landed into Washington must conform with current rules in effect for the point of landing including, but not limited to, daily limits, possession limits, size restrictions, and sex restrictions.

[Statutory Authority: RCW 77.12.047. 06-07-046 (Order 06-40), § 220-55-210, filed 3/9/06, effective 4/9/06.]
:smile:

· Registered
9,675 Posts
In Washinton with a Washinton license you can fish at night on the washington side(North of the Channel) With a oregon license you can't.

Probably won't effect you. Limits might vary, so just be careful and do your research if you have questions.

· Registered
157 Posts
No.... they're not the same. For instance, us Wa. fishers can keep two salmon AND two steelhead, while the Or. law reads, two salmon OR two steelhead, or one of each.....

Not that that's an issue since I usually head home not having to rinse my fish box...... :sick:

But to answer your original question, I would think if you have a Wa. license, you could tag 'em on that card, and enjoy the more liberal regs under the Wa. license......
I am confused... this is what I read in a news release (July 27, 2007 ) on the WDFW web site:

"New fishing seasons opening August 1, 2007 on Columbia River under new rules to conserve wild Tules."

"Lower Columbia River - Salmon fishing opens from the Rocky Point/Tonque Point line upstream to Bonneville Dam. The daily limit will be six fish, including no more than two adults - only one of which may be an adult chinook. Any chinook, fin clipped or not, may be retained.

I believe this coincides with current Oregon regulations? Please feel free to correct me if I have a misunderstanding of the current regulations for salmon and steelhead retention in Oregon and Washington.

· Registered
2,569 Posts
Safe to say, from a boat, carry both but tag on only one. (the least full!:smirk:)

For bankies, use the state you are standing in.

My question has always been, if you bank fish in Washington, and (yeah right:crazy:) fill your tag for they day, can you cross the bridge and bank fish in Oregon? I always figured NO on the Columbia ... Maybe on a different Oregon river ... if you go home first!:angel1: Nah. I'll take the nap option:laugh:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.