IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using Maxima since I started fishing years ago. I have used all of them and have never had a problem nor has it made a differance in my production of fish.

What line do you use and why do you think it is good?

Signed, Curious

·
Registered
271 Posts
Berkley Big Game. Very good abrasion resistance, as strong or stronger than Maxima. Also cheaper in price but not in quality.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Tuff Line strong lasts a long time and sencitive enough for steel head.

·
Registered
596 Posts
when i use mono like i do when drift fishing i use maxima all the way , strongest stuff even when you size down to the lower poundage, its limp and flexible for easy casting.
other wise i use tuff line when im in the boat

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use tuff for bobber fishing and have tried other mono only to go back to Maxima. Maxima Ivory is cheap and it holds up. It is not real limp and get's memory quick when not used all the time, but I always re spool every couple of trips.

·
Registered
116 Posts
For the last year I used Suffix DNA for drift fishing. So far I love it, it's been great for sensitivity and very strong. I think the best thing I've noticed about this line is the lack of abrasions.

My .02

Kerry

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
I've tried a few different brands and always ended up back at berkley big game. Right now I fish power pro main and ande leader and have no complaints (but lots of compliments for both).

tip: lines that tout their abrasion resistance usually don't rate well at breaking strength. Given the fishing we do, you end up at the short end of the equation if you go that direction.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I use to use Trilene 10 pld, went to maxima 20 for springers.
Now I use tuff 50 main, and 20p maxima, Why??
I ran into a sale's women, and she can fish with the best of us.
And I bought the biggest spool, she is a red head, I think I hade coffee on the wilson with another red head, wonder who that girl was??????

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have used Power Pro braided for about a year and it in my opinion is the only way to go. I have had enough big fish break mono on smooth rocks. Power Pro is easy casting, tough and works like a CHAMP! :cool:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is interesting hearing differant opinions. I guess as long as it works for each of us it does not matter.

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
I use Maxima ultragreen and Ande for mono. Also some trilene XT. The trilene is cheap and tough, but it doesn't take a knot as well as the Maxima.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Berkley Big Game. Very good abrasion resistance, as strong or stronger than Maxima. Also cheaper in price but not in quality.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">STRONGER!

I tested several 20# lines a couple years ago employing the palomar or trilene knot on all the brands tested.

The results were Maxima & Ande 18#, Stren 21#, Big Game 28#.
Broke them all more than once with the same results every time.
We were all in disbelief and I have been using Big Game and Izorline ever since and they have proven themselves in the field to me.

Never have heard a single complaint ever about Big Game.
Nice line handling qualities also.

Dan

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I love using big game for all of my reels that don't have braid... I also use Ande and Suffix DNA.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
I like Maxima UG for mono and Tuff line XP for bobber/anchor fishing for salmon

·
Registered
993 Posts
Whats Mono? :shrug:
I thought it was just for leader,Or lead line.

30# Steelhead :grin:
40#,50#,60# Salmon :grin:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Suffix DNA
This stuff is amazing....well in my opinion.
High abrasion resistance, and ZERO memory.
Smooth as silk...

·
Registered
561 Posts
Not sure if they still sell them, but Trilene XL is limp yet strong. It works great on both baitcasters and spinning reels. I bought several 3000 yd. reels several years back and still happily feeding my spools. Another fine mono is the Stren MagnaThin.

For leaders, however, I like stiffer line, like the Maxima UG.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts