IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone interested, how about an open inventational for fishing off the rocks and in the ocean for early June and hopefully the fishing "God's" will be with us.

It is difficult to plan something like this a head of time because you never know what mother nature will throw at you (weather permitting). But there is always plan "B" or plan "C".

What I have in mind is to get ifisher's down here and get together with local and non-local experienced rock fishermen and mariners and fish and then later get together at Beverly Beach campground or Big Creek resevoir and BBQ and have a good time fellowship as we ifisher's do.

I have met quite a few fellow ifisher's recently and we have caught some fish and shared some good times. This is perhaps arguably the best place to fish off the rocks and put in a small boat.

Let me know if you are interested and I will put together some volunteers to guide you on the 7 miracle miles of our coast.

There is also the opportunity to surf fish off some of the local beaches for red tailed surf perch.

Dan

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Id be interested in that as well Dan, never been out in the ocean and off the rocks in a boat would probably be a good 'introduction' lol.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Sounds like fun Dan. I have been wanting to take to boat out of there for a while. I will be gone the first week of June (4th-8th) but the next weekend I would be game. Keep us posted.

Joel :cheers:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Dan,

I'd love to attend your next get together. I'm in either on the rocks or out of my boat. I've never launched at Depoe Bay, but I have been out on a lot of charters out of Depoe. I also love surf fishing, although its been years since I've done it.

love2fish

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Thanks for the invitation DBD. I was fishing off the rocks right by the blowhole yesterday. I caught 2 lings, one too small, which I threw back. The other one was too big. I had 14 lb fireline and I couldn't lift him up onto the rocks. Next time, I bring the sturgeon pole and put the smelt net handles on my salmon net.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Dan: I haven't fished of the rocks for some time. When I was a kid (before they had limits on rockfish) we caught 209 in one day, jigging right off the rocks. I would really like to get in on this trip.........Fishrite

·
Registered
465 Posts
Count me in! I'm on vacation 6/14-6/24 and plan on being down there for halibut 6/19-21 as well.
Have a 20' boat that would do well there (has in the past),but I also love to fish off of the rocks.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks as if there are some ifisher’s interested in getting together for some fishing off the rocks and in boats in early June. I thought early June would be a good time because it doesn’t interfere with the second halibut season or the coming coho season. It might conflict with the some of the later springer season for some. I do need your help organizing this event however. It is up to you guys/gals to choose when and what you want to do.

Blue Water can make it the weekend of the 14th-16th. Boat or rockfishing? SKSPAWNER 14th & 15th. Has a boat and wants to use it. love2fish – Has a boat and/or is willing to fish off the rocks. I don’t believe Russ has a boat but sounds as if he is willing to experience the ocean. (Bring a chum bucket). LOL! Some of the others didn’t specify preference of boat and/or rockfishing or dates available. I do have some emails regarding the gig also.

I have mentioned this to a couple local fishermen about attending and helping both the boat fishermen and rock fishermen and believe I can get some help with this. I know there is some that would prefer I keep some of the rockfishing zipper-lipped but there is always ample room to fish off the rocks regardless and it is wide open in the boat fishery out there. I can go out in one of the boats and have the rest follow along but would prefer some other experienced mariners to go so we can check out a few different spots at the same time and communicate and put the rest of the boats on the biters.

If it turns out that we will be rockfishing and boat fishing at the same time, I have found it difficult to be in two places at the same time. I do believe I can get some help with this and we will figure that out after we all decide when everyone can go. Maybe boats one day and the rocks another?

More than one date is acceptable for me, but the more we condense it the better. BBQ is an option, but time goes fast and some might prefer fishing the whole time they are here. We could also have a fish derby and I am sure I can find a few things to donate.

We can usually get a pretty good Idea of the weather several days ahead of time and if it looks iffy, we can choose to postpone it, or wait and see and go to plan “B” or “C”. June is usually a more predictable ocean but you can have the best or adverse conditions any time of year. (You don’t see 20’ swells in June however)!

Anyone that has extra room in their boat willing to take a fellow ifisher or guide (so to speak) should mention so.

Dan

Sore Back – rockfishing or boat fishing? Preferred weekend or week day?

Fish_N_Russ – Interested in fishing with someone with extra room in there boat? Wife also? Preferred weekend or week day?

Blue Water - I will be gone the first week of June (4th-8th) but the next weekend I would be game.
Boat or rockfishing?

RL - I'll be there to see if I can learn something from the experts. Not necessarily experts, but experienced. Boat or rockfishing? Preferred weekend or week day?

love2fish – Boat or rockfishing. Preferred weekend or week day?

Fishrite – Wished I could have fished the rocks or in a boat here back then. The days of 209 fish off the rocks are long gone. Still good fishing though. Boat or rockfishing. Preferred weekend or week day?

SKSPAWNER - Count me in! I'm on vacation 6/14-6/24. Boat Fishing.

Snapset – Thanks for the report and glad you hooked into a couple including jaws. I don’t think I would use a sturgeon rod unless you were plunking bait for lings/cabbies and you can still get away with a much shorter and lighter rod that will do the job. Most serious ling fishermen fishing off the rocks use a heavy salmon rod or equivalent, normally shorter than a standard 11’ surf rod. Interested in the festivities? Boat or rockfishing. Prefered weekend or week day?

[ 05-26-2003, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: DepoeBayDan ]

·
Registered
34 Posts
DBD:
I have no preference either weekday or weekend: I can make it any time. Preference would probably be for rockfishing, but would be up for boat fishing if that's the concensus and anyone has an open seat. Also, I could pump some sandshrimp if anyone wants to bait fish.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
I'll have to check with the boss, but for now count me in.

:smile:

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Dan,
Extra room in the boat would be good.....especially since me and the wife arent small people lol. Wife would be coming along also, yes. Weekend preferred, but could do it on one day (preferrably a Friday or Monday) during week if need be.

·
Registered
169 Posts
DBD

Sounds great!!

Boat or rockfishing. Preferred weekend or week day?

Thanks!

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I'll have to look this over better tonight if I have the time.

I think the boat and rockfishing might be better on two sepparate days so I could be involved in both.

I will start talking to some more of the experienced mariners and rockfishermen I know and see how many I can get to volunteer to help out.

Saturday the 14th sounds good for some to fish out of the boats but I did notice a very low -2.5 tide in the early AM. Maybe Sunday the 15th for the rockfishing.

An extremely low tide (-2.5) combined with any swell at all could make for a choppy hole and middle grounds and could cause a delay in going out. Hopefully it will be like a lake that day (and no fog).

Saturday the 7th might be a better choice but would eliminate a couple ifisher's from going. Saturday the 21rst is opening day of coho I believe. Forget it unless you want to fight the crowds at the boat ramp and go fish for rockfish and/or salmon.

So, I'll give it some thought and after making a decision I'll post two sepparate threads on a boat gig and rockfishing gig.

Probably as I mentioned; Saturday the 14th for the boat fishing and the next day Sunday the 15th for the rockfishing gig. Too bad razor's aren't open!

Anyone wanting to spend the whole weekend down here can fish out of a boat Saturday and then can go out the next day without me. I'm sure there will be someone around on Saturday to help out on the rocks while we are out on the salt. Some of the ifisher's already know some of the places to go on the rocks.

Dan

·
Registered
648 Posts
Dan-
I would like to go out in my boat so I can take my girls but I am open to just going off the rocks if boating would be a problem. Most likely would come down on Friday night and fish Saturday (14th) only. Sounds like a lot of fun. I am looking forward to it.

Joel
:cheers:

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool Bluewater. Fun experience for daughters. I guess we will go for the 14th. There is always plan "B" or "C" if the ocean doesn't cooperate, i.e. crabbing, fishing from the rocks, clamming, tide pool exploring, fishing the beach for redtail's, or trout fishing.

I might email Pilar and see if he is free and interested in going. He is a very experienced mariner, does have some experience with Depoe Bay and would be helpful in safety and navigation tips.

Don't know where the best forum to post the boat fishing thread would be; Salty Dog's or ifish community?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Dan,
I'm still new to the crossing the bar thing, but I'm egar to learn. I have a 20' JetCraft that I would be willing to bring down if the ocean cooperates. If someone with more off-shore time would like to ride along, that would great(I'm a willing learner). I do have a gps, vhs, and all of the other safty stuff. I am just as willing to fish off the rocks if the ocean is to rough. Getting time off shouldn't be a problem if I get a little notice.

Thanks,
love2fish

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
love2fish,

I'll ride with you and have plenty experience going out of Depoe.

Looks like the 14th. Depoe Bay is the ultimate small boat rockfish fishery as far as I am concerned. Where else can you launch and be into rockfish habitat within 5 minutes of launching?

Let's hope for a small swell that day and no or very little fog or wind.

Talked to some coasties today (US Coast Gaurd) and there is a chance if someone wants to take a "coastie" along, that could be a reality. Most of the new guys don't have a boat, but like to fish.

This afternoon was toasty down here at the coast, flat ocean, virtually no wind, and nobody fishing. Wow! If we could only experience that on the 14th! (Must have been 75 degrees).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts