IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Taken from the Coos Bay World News Paper on 8/21

Marine reserves will be the topic at a meeting of the Ocean Policy Advisory Council's Marine Reserve Working Group to be held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Wednesday, at the Oregon Institute of Marine Biology Boathouse Auditorium in Charleston.

The council adopted a goal for marine reserves in July to protect and sustain a network of ecologically unique places in Oregon's territorial sea. They would conserve marine habitats and biodiversity, provide a framework for scientific research and effectiveness monitoring and minimize possible adverse social and economic impacts on ocean users and ocean-dependent communities.

For more information, those interested can call Laurel Hillmann at the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department at (503) 986-0700; or e-mail [email protected].

Is anyone planning to attend? I will in the afternoon even if I have to stand out side.

Masty

· Registered
8,517 Posts
I was unable to attend but got a short report from John H.
The Meeting was well attended 100 persons and some Salmon Trollers doing circles outside the windows with "No Reserves" signs on their Boats. For some reason the blinds on that side of the room were closed. :grin: Most of the Coastal Caucus was there and expressed their disapproval of this process. The main focus was working on the existing proposals. The MR Site Nomination Process will be unveiled in early October. The Governor has asked for a special meeting of the Legislature this February to seek funding for his Legacy Reserves.

The Port of Newport recently went to the City Council to update them on the MR Process and potential impact on the Coastal Communities.
http://www.newportnewstimes.com/articles/2007/08/22/news/news01.txt

I had a discussion recently talked with my Rep and she was well aware of the Proposal but was surprised that more of her constituents had little or no knowledge of it. If you have not filled this out yet it might be a good time to take a minute.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=162515

· Registered
9,362 Posts
I couldn't make this meeting either, wish I had been able to go.

We need to stay informed about the nomination process, it will very likely be an important part of what gets accepted and passed to the governor.

I think the legislature may be the part we need to worn on the most, sounds like Ted G. has his mind made up already and/or his afvisors are protecting him from our thoughts on this subject.
ron m

· Registered
784 Posts
We need to stay informed about the nomination process, it will very likely be an important part of what gets accepted and passed to the governor.
Ron,
My opinion is that we dont need to be so concerned about the nomination process. It is solely of the Governor's fabrication. Most believe that it is just a dog and pony show designed to give the illusion of public process. There are no criteria for a person to be eligible to nominate an area for closure. A nominator does not need to be a resident of the state or the country. You see, a blind, mentally ill, drug addicted, homeless person from Belarus who has never been in this country has an equal right to yourself in nominating an area for fishing closures.

"I think the legislature may be the part we need to work on the most, sounds like Ted G. has his mind made up already and/or his advisors are protecting him from our thoughts on this subject."

This statement you made is the key. We need to build resistance everwhere we can. Especially in the legislature. They have to agree to fund this. If they dont it will be seriously crippled. It was mentioned in Charleston that this fisheries constraint runs counter to the "wild caught Oregon" seafood campaign that is successfully running in the state. It does affect more than just anglers. Retail Oregon seafood supplies will diminish.

· Banned
8,835 Posts
Didn't environmental groups step up to "fund" the California BS? Why wouldn't that happen here? I can't imagine they are not counting on bringing that up should the legislature take the easy way out.

I think our strongest approach will be that of Denial of Access, which goes so contrary to Oregon's legacy. Tell your legislators that there MUST be a plan that does not deny access by the citizenry.

And remember how they vote when you vote.

Skein

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies!

If you don't think Ted's wet dream has a snow balls chance? Think again! This it is a real possibility of taking hold without a lick of common sense, or at the very least a little scientific support.

I enjoy reading all of the great posts about the fishing, hunting, and stuff I wish I could buy for sale. I would rather be telling you'll about the great fishing out of Coos Bay, I'm only ask you share Ted's plan with your friends and family so we have some numbers with if comes time to be counted!

And if you can post stories here, I know you can write a note to your State officials, congressmen and senators! One of the Dog's even made it easy with a auto email to your elected representatives! http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=162515

Don't wait, do it today!!

Thanks again for your support!

Masty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.