IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Most of us including my self have had a similar encounter... It makes for a great story back home or for your next fishing trip!

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
All of these things have probably happened to all of us at one time or another... but all in one day is really a bad day!

I am so sorry, but hey! Look at the bright side! You learned everything you need to know in one trip! Now, you are set! :smile:

Tell your wife that!

Good luck, you are now totally prepared for anything, right?

Jen

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
If that accounted for my worst day fishing, I would feel like the king of the world.

Take my word for it, I have had worse.

Only thing to do is get back on that horse and ride! :cheers:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks for the "I've been there" comments. It is nice to know I am not alone.

If anyone ever catches me badmouthing the goofball in the other boat... feel free to smack me.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
keep your chin up and your line wet. don't worry, anyone who says that something like that hasn't happened to them is either lying or too stupid to remember, or like grantspastor said, "or has my mind just blocked it out?". don't let that keep you off the river. now you know what you need to do in the future, so that makes you alot smarter than some of the old timers i have seen out there during springer season. everyone has those days, some people never learn from their mistakes and are in the same place their whole lives. see ya out there, and good luck getting your wife into another fish.

·
Registered
354 Posts
It's real difficult being the guy in that boat
Don't take it too hard long a you learned from your weekend :sick: Much better than being that guy at 4:00a.m. I'm sure your wife will come around :grin: Best of luck

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hey ,FBS, Respect for sharing those stories, and it sounds like you've learned things. I can only hope to ever learn that quickly, and safely!

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
:shocked: All that, witnesses and two drive-bys too?
Uh, can I recommend a safer less discouraging pastime? Maybe something along the lines of gardening (without tools) or backgammon?

Fish gods will be looking over your shoulder next time for sure. :cheers: good luck, and dont let it shake your confidence on the water!

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Hey, FBS, you have a long way to go yet. You haven't:

Fallen out of the boat yet, or

Taken your Washington license for an Oregon fishing trip, or

Arrived at the ramp with everything you need but the rods, or

Grabbed your archery tackle box instead of your salmon tackle box or,

Forgot to tie the anchor thingy to the rope thingy, or

Had your watch come unsnapped as you were netting the fish (plunk!), or

Lost the keys to the big engine and had to fish four days on the little engine only to find that the keys were laying in the grass of the boat lot right behind the lodge the whole time, or

Towed the new big boat all over two states with a 2" ball until it finally came off at the ramp, then realized that the trailer needed a 2 5/16" ball, or....

Well, I think you get the picture. Of course, I didn't do all of these things. They all happened. I did some of them and witnessed the rest.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ever have one of those weekends where things just don't quite go as planned?

First, let me appologize to anyone that had to witness my foolishness 2 weeks ago. I was going to keep this to myself and never tell a sole.

However, hindsight tells me that some of you will find it a bit amuzing and others may learn from my mistakes.

Lessons learned:
1) Don't use cheap or old gear for big fish
2) Use the proper anchor for the conditions
3) Know how to read the channel
4) NEVER get downstream of your anchor unless you are in the bow of the boat
5) Make certain your anchor puller bouy is capable of floating your anchor BEFORE you drop the anchor
6) If you take a newby out fishing, keep smiling, no matter how bad it gets

I took my wife out 2 weekends ago for her first chinook trip. We went just outside of Washougal boat launch and had a bizzare fishing trip.

Got all hooked up on the first day. My wife hooked her very first chinook just as her old reel blew up in her hands. She had no idea she even had a fish on as I attempted to hand pull it into the boat. We got it about 20 feet from the boat when the line snapped. At least she was able to see it.

I ran to BiMart and bought her a brand new reel. Base one in the case. Returned to the river, continued to fish and heard 5 blasts from a barge. I was certain I was not in the channel and that another boat was. Turns out I was closer than I realized and so was he. This is not an impressive way to win points with your wife. Picked up to move WAY away from the channel and my anchor wouldn't set. I became the idiot on the river as I tried 4 or 5 times to hook up and nearly hooked another boat's anchor. Finally, too embarassed to continue, I headed home for the evening.

Went to GI Joe's that evening and bought a proper anchor for that rocky portion of river.

Sunday... Went back out at the crack of dawn. New anchor hooked up perfectly on the first drop! The day was going great but fishing was slow. Another barge came down the river. My wife never took her eyes off that barge (for good reason). In the mean time, her rod nearly broke in half on a huge hit. I had my back to her pole as I saw the tip flash by my head. The gentleman in the boat next to us about fell out of his seat yelling "fish on!" By the time I figured out it was my wife's pole, her second ever chinook dropped off. She didn't get to feel this one either.

You would think this was the end of the story.

Went to pull up the ancor and it would not release. We tried several angles as idiots in pleasure boats tried their damndest to swamp us. Turns out my anchor puller bouy was too small to do the job. After several attempts to drown us both, I finally figured out I needed to pull it in by hand.

Humbled, I headed home. I doubt she is ever going to wish to go chinook fishing with me again.

What a mess. I have never felt like such a beginner in all my life.

Please don't make these mistakes. It is far too embarassing to your passengers and you. Not to metion the fact that it wears the nerves of those around you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
C :laugh: rabbait, you are entirely too honest!! :smile: Thanks all for sharing, I enjoyed reading them all... I guess I have some more "experiences to experience"!! :blush:

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
slayer, You know the old saying, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Well they must've forgot fishermen in that deal. You learned a couple good lessons the way we all did, by sheer embarrasment :blush: with lack of preparation and not having the proper gear. Help is just a small post away, just ask. :grin:

Look at the bright side, you and your fair maiden are still here to learn more.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Sounds like you are almost ready for Springer fishing
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">:grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
627 Posts
My wife lost her first salmon at the boat cause of bad line and since has caught many 30+ fish and I have done all these things and some... :grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
FBS - Thanks for being brave, swallowing your pride and sharing so that others may learn (and still others can have a chuckle)

I'll add to crabbait's list...

You didn't break down 24 miles off Depoe Bay, within 1/2 mile of the fish, with no way to get to the fish (or back to port) and have to be towed by the coast guard. :wink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts