IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My co-worker is from Nepal and has never caught a Salmon. So, for the past two Saturdays we have taken him out and haven't had any luck.

Anyway, our St. Helens/Bachelor Island report is this: We saw a number of people catching fish, they are there. We just can't find them.

Day started at 7 a.m. sharp, thinking that by the time we got out on the river the tide would be running and fishing would be good.

The tide was still slack when we got out there around 7:30 a.m. We swung around in circles and finally decided that we should pull the anchor and reset.

So I went up front and pulled the anchor while the sock decided it would be fun to get tangled in the outdrive! :shocked:

After drifting for about 20 minutes, right out into the middle of the channel, we noticed a tug coming down the channel.

We fired up the engine, keeping the rope, sock, etc. out of the prop the best we could, and headed for shore. The tug captain, still being a mile off, decided that he was going to head for shore and darn near ran over a couple of anchored boats. We heard no hails from him or even horn blows, so it was kind of weird.

The plan was once we got into shallow water near shore, to drop the anchor, shut down the motor and I was going to get wet, standing on the sand.

We got it in close to the bank, Clown dropped the anchor and then we were able to get the sock (although chewed up a bit) free.

At about 9:30 ish we actually started fishing.

We moved around and tried different depths and lures, nada, nothing, zip.

I don't know what we are doing wrong, but I caught two fish doing what we are doing a two weeks ago and now nothing....

Oh well, hey, just when you think you have this fishing thing figured out...it stops working (unless of course you use Carrot Milk).

So, to heal my fisherman wounds (chewed up sock and no fish) my wife and I decided to get some furniture. (We still have old college stuff).

And, we adopted our first dog, which has me a bit baffled, as we have been an all cat family for 8 years. Dogs are much different, as the constant barking this evening has me at my computer instead of in bed.

I think tomorrow will be a lazy day doing laundry, watching football and filleting out a Chow/Lab mix. :wink:
I am sure it would make good sturgeon bait!

Maybe next weekend...

Chacal

·
Registered
170 Posts
My wife and I had a similar experience yesterday (Saturday). We always put in at Suavie Island. We actually went out on Thursday, thinking we see other Ifishers - but did not read the post Wednesday, and I guess folks headed to St. Helens?? Anyhow, we left Frenchmans and headed downstream to St. Helens to check that area out.

We set up in a hog line (green 77 buoy) and watched folks catch fish all around us. My first time out I caught one, so I thought I knew the drill. We were fishing alvins on a slider with 6 oz weight. Nada. Zip. Meanwhile we watched plenty of activity all around us! Around 1, we decided we had to much fish repellent on the bottom of the boat (hehe), and picked up anchor, and headed back downstream. We anchored right across from the little white lighthouse (don't know the name of the area).

Again - folks were catching them up and down from us. Talk about frustrating! My wife and I still enjoyed the sites and just being out there (but a fish would really make it nice!).

We picked up at 3:30, and started heading back. This is where a couple of learning experiences come in:

Weather is calmer in the morning - plan your boating with your passengers in mind. Although coming back up stream was rough - I didn't mind. My wife on the otherhand was looking the color of my favorite Alvin! After a very LONG time, we finally made our way to Sauvie! (I used to fly, and took my wife up in a small plane the first time in the Philippines during a very warm (and bumpy day - and she was 6 months along with child! Needless to say she did not fly again!)

When attempting to anchor in a hog line, I was upstream and just getting ready to drop anchor and back down. This fellow motors right behind me (I mean he cruised right in pretty fast), and dropped, cutting me off. I just decided to go up a couple of hog lines rather than make any commotion. Realize there are folks that just think about themselves out there!

When anchoring, don't assume the guy on the outside knows where he is. I was not sure where the channel was, so anchored inside a well-seasoned fishing vessel. A big ship came by, and although we were not in any danger, it was a bit unnerving to see one THAT close. Funny story goes along with that one, but will save for private meetings <grin>.

So in short - a full day on the water with nothing to show for it but a nice boat ride. If you find out the trick, please let me know!

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Ahhh the trials and tribulations of salmon fishing on anchor.
Pat let me give you a little advice, when you find a spot you have caught fish in before anchor in that spot and stay there... all day!
Sooner or later the fish will come by and you will catch one.

Quite a few people want to move every hour if they dont get a bite, not smart for anchor salmon fishing, sturgeon yes, salmon no. Yesterday when I anchored above you we did not have a bite for 2.5 hours then we had 4 and we got a 30lb and 38lb fish. :grin: I know that is a good spot. I know I am fishing the right depth of water. I know the bottom is nice and flat with a trench on each side to funnel the fish right to me. I know I have enough weight to stay on the bottom. I know the last 4 hours of the tide are the best 4 hours of the tide. My Alvins are proven fish catchers. Now all I have to do is wait for the fish to move to me! :smile:

If you are trolling you cover a lot of water when salmon fishing, but on anchor pick your spot wisely and stick with it. Yesterday and the day before there were people in THE slot in one of my favorite spots :hoboy: so I just moved downriver, found the same characteristics on the bottom and caught fish. You can learn as much from your successes as you can from your failures in this game!

Oh, you were in a good spot yesterday, we got 5 fish there the week before last, you just needed to wait for the bottom of the tide! :cheers:

·
Registered
170 Posts
"the last 4 hours of the tide"

So today the low is at 4:03PM (St. Helens). So noon from 4 would be the best time for today?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Let me ask one more question, regarding putting anise/WD40, or some scent on a alvin. How? Do you tie some yarn and soak it in the scent, or does simply spraying/applying directly to the lure work?

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
flynhi66 YEP! I'm not saying everytime because we catch plenty of fish throughout the tide but the last 4 hours are the time to be there if you are going to be there at all and for goodness sake dont leave too early. I like to stay until those sea socks are hanging straight down. I cant tell you how many big fish we have caught in the last 10 minutes of the water moving!

Good luck :cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts