IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for recomendations on a batterry charger for a dual battery set up for a 24 volt trolling motor.
What have you used? Anything I should stay away from?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,036 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
It depends on what type of batteries you have and/or intend to use in the future. Lead/acid, AGM, gel, and lithium ion batteries all have different charging curves so it's best to get a charger designed for the specific type of battery you use, or one where you can change the setting to match the battery type. Some battery manufacturers, such as Odyssey, have approved lists of chargers so that can be a good starting point for narrowing down your choices.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I upgraded to this 20A charger this year. For every hour of trolling it takes about 3 hours of charging on my group 27 batteries. Hodges Marine had a bunch of these in stock for $150 but looks like they are sold out. BOE Marine is a good outfit too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, for now they are lead acid. I noticed some of the chargers I've looked at listed several battery types.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
I’ve had a couple of brands. My last one was Cabelas for 3 batteries. Depending on how fast you want to charge a Battery Tender could work as well.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Minnkota Precision Charger. Make sure you get at least 10 amp per bank, 15 amp is better.

·
Registered
191 Posts
NOCO Genius. Higher amps the better. It shortens the time to charge, but they also can be left plugged in as a battery tender. The shorter recharge I like so I can top of with generator when fishing remote lakes without power.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Minnkota Precision Charger. Make sure you get at least 10 amp per bank, 15 amp is better.
This is what I run....

·
Registered
10,564 Posts
I have two battery sets. I have the Noco gen2, 20 amp two bank, two of them. They can be set for lead acid, AGM, or Lithium. My older charger toasted one of my AGM batteries, leading to a changout to the Noco.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My dealer recommended a Powermania 3 bank for my 36v system that runs my Minn Kota Rip Ulterra.
After 6 months, it stopped working. Manufacturer was fantastic with the warranty replacement. Shipped a new replacement immediately and said to use the box and included label to return the old one. This was December. Fast forward 6 months to June, after getting back from a trip to the coast I plugged in the charger and went back in the house. After about 5 or 10 minutes something (guardian Angel) told me to check it. Glad I did, because something had shorted out inside and the unit was ON FIRE🔥 !!!
I immediately unplugged it and hit it with the fire extinguisher. The output cords were melted and the flames had been coming out whar remained of the space. On battery corner was melted, but fortunately the boat had zero damage.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have a 2 bank Cabelas Pro series 12 amp charger for sake . Just posted it on Ifish . Take a look. used it for 3 years with my 24 volt Min kota . Works great ! I switched to Lithium , so I have no use for it anymore.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have a 2 bank Cabelas Pro series 12 amp charger for sake . Just posted it on Ifish . Take a look. used it for 3 years with my 24 volt Min kota . Works great ! I switched to Lithium , so I have no use for it anymore.
What's the advantage of going with a lithium battery system? Kirk

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
What's the advantage of going with a lithium battery system? Kirk
Less than half the weight, 4-6 times as many charge cycles, ability to run the batteries down to 0 with no damage, and faster charging. The downside is higher upfront costs.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Like Fish Mojo and Ragde, I run Minn Kota's Precision 230 PCL. It works with all battery types other than Lithiums. I'd highly recommend this charger/tender. Good luck, CopperMan.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts