IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jennie asked me to test some divers rather new to the market. Called "Old Salty Divers" they are constructed of stainless steel and have a rectangular diving surface. I have used them three times at Buoy 10 and have found them to be as good or better than conventional plastic divers. They set easily and stay where you put them. They do not wander under the surface and have a very sensitive trip action. Resistance with a fish on is not noticeable.

Literature states they will dive to 130 feet. I have not had occasion to check this out but have had them easily touch bottom in 60-70 feet of water.

If they do trip they are simple to reset by merely pointing the tip at the diver and pushing the rod forward.

Put a 32 pound Nook in the boat today along with 6 other fish near the Astoria Bridge on the Oregon side. Bottom line? I like the divers!

Here's the 32 pounder from today at Astoria. Caught on a red hoochie behind a Jensen Dodger under an Old Salty Diver

[ 09-05-2003, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
Joe, Nice fish. Old salty...did they name those after you? Good report. Go Ducks!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Does anybody have info on these? Who is selling them, how much? 130' :shocked:

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's an address: Old Salty Tackle

They also make some large versions for downrigger use that will dive to 300 feet!

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Watch for these on the Ready Set Contests!

Coming soon!

Jen

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
I heard he was putting together a web site so we could get more information. Anybody know if it's up and running?

Skein

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
LOL... Was looking through some old posts and found this.
Yes! The website is at:

Right here!!

I have had excellent reports from these, and can't wait for the B 10 season.

Oh yeah, I've had two reports from people that they don't know how to use them, correctly, also.

Might be nice for others to lend a helping hand and some advice? :smile:

Jen

·
Administrator
41,361 Posts
I've seen them in action ... and I want one! I was really surprised that they worked so well with a large sized KoneZone flasher and herring. I fished my Delta with a fish flash and got outfished 6 fish to 1 and at no time did the Old Salty trip. And, the stainless steel means they're much more durable than plastic divers. I'm ready to give them a try.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I had a similar experience to Capt. Hook - they were extemely sensitive to tripping. I ran mine with a fish flash behind it and a cut plug blue label and it just kept tripping all morning so I put it back in the boat. Maybe I just got a bad one. :shrug: It appears to me that the angle on the metal wire isn't steep enough - delta divers have a much steeper angle. I love the looks of the diver, and would love to get it to work. Maybe I'll just try another one.

Jennie - I don't believe that someone wouldn't know how to use one of these. There's only two ends on the thing - even if you put it on backwards you'd get it right the next try. :shrug:

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
SEE, KT! I TOLD you people don't know how to use them! Even you can't figure it out! :laugh:

You used the Blue label off the package of herring behind the flasher! Of course that cardboard would create drag!
Sheesh!

You are supposed to cut plug the HERRING, silly!!!

Jen

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Come on KT, You are starting to talk like a lawyer. :wink: I said they were sensitive to tripping as a good thing not a bad thing. I hate it when the Deltas won't trip. I have not had any experience with them tripping inadvertantly. In my opinion if they trip, something tripped them. That is the way it is supposed to work.

I like everything about the Salty and will continue to use them. :applause: :applause:

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Well, I've certainly never heard this complaint, and these divers aren't really new. I just talked to Marie at Tillamook Bait and they are flying off the shelf. She hasn't had one complaint.
Of all the guides I know of that have used them, no complaints there, either.
I'm not saying it's not true, it just really surprises me as I've seen Bill use them and I've used them with him- with big flashers, and no problem?!?

Regardless, the problem you report will be investigated thoroughly, and Old Salty will respond, I'm certain.

His products are doing very well at all the PDX tackle shops, so if it is indeed a problem, we'll hear about it! :smile:

Jen

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
What No. are you folks using at Buoy 10?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Over a decade:passout:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts