IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandpa (who just had his 92nd birthday) gave me his 1963 "ish" 5 hp (he thinks) Apache (Clinton engine) air cooled outboard motor. This thing is great. No plastic anywhere, pure pot metal. He told me he thinks he started in the 80's. I add a 1/2 pint of SAE 30 to a gallon of gas and it starts within a few pulls. No reverse, no neutral, only "go". Cant wait to put it on the boat and see how it performs while trolling. What oldish motors do you own that still function?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am running a 1956 Evinrude 10 horse that I can't seem to kill. I was given the boat and motor as a gift and felt bad about not trying to fix up the engine, so I replaced the water pump impeller, spark plugs, points, condenser and a coil, and the thing just keeps going, and going, and going...You get the idea.
They sure don't make things like they used to.
Have a great one.
B.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
1960 Merc300 (35hp) with a few parts from a 1958.

I used to have a Sears motor that sounds a little like the one you describe. Gas tank on the top?

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have a 5hp Johnson seahorse TD 20 made in the late 40's. Runs like a top but the tiller handle is broken as well as the recoil starter. Use a pair of vise grips and a rope now instead. Would love to find another for parts if anyone has one they want to part with? :grin: I have noticed the old motors are bit of an ecological(sp) disaster for the old watershed though.

BlueWater.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
'65 Evinrude 6 horse. Use it all the time for crabbing. The horses are getting a little arthritic, but it just runs and runs and runs...

But, I'd rather have a 4 cycle for environmental reasons.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
BlueWater,
check out Oregon Outboard Salvage in Portland - my Merc would not be alive without them!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lost Sailor, The one I have does not have a top mount gas tank. It did come with the original red metal gas tank and priming bulb. This one is also an air cooled model. I won't be using it as a full time motor, but it will be cool to try it on a fishing trip.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
I was just looking at some old Collier's magazines from 1953. Included were ads detailing the "shocking" power from the top of the line Johnson Sea Horse motor --- 25 HP! One picture showed a 25 pulling three skiers. :shocked: I guess that was the biggest outboard back then.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I've only had old motors because I don't use my cartop boat enough to justify buying a new one. If a person likes to tinker the oldies are fun, and you need tools out on the boat. Liuke somebody mentioned, its nastty, billowing out smoke and leaving oil slicks behind.

I have a 7 1/2 hp Evinrude, the old blue kind. I don't know the vintage but its probably 40 + years old, and there are a lot of them around still. I've been stranded out on big lakes several times doing miracle work on the inside of that puppy instead of fishing. I'm not at all sentimental on it although I have learned its nuances by now. I'd say unless a person has the aptitude to tinker they should stay with something newer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts