IFish.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,just dropped in on this board to ask a quick question. My son in law wants to learn fly fishing and I happened to find a Fenwick model FF909 rod that I bought new in 1971 and never used.I Wanted to take up fly fishing but never got around to it. Would it be worth it to give it to him to try to see if he likes this type of fishing before he spends a lot of money on new gear? As I said this rod is brand new still in its case. Any opinions?

·
Registered
948 Posts
I learned to fish on a Fenwick glass rod, but these days less than 0.00001% of people fish glass, and those tend to be lightweight specialty rods. A modern graphite rod will make it much easier to learn. Much much easier

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
It is probably a much nicer rod than the one I learned with... and I am hooked. I say the key is to get out there and have fun; worry about the gear later. lnf

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi SuperPanga
I have a fenwick FF875 that I still use although it is the only glass rod that I still have. I learned with a glass rod so can be done :laugh:.
fox

·
Registered
8,679 Posts
I think you should keep it , get off your butt and hit the big D nymph some bhpt. in the slower water and you may become hooked. :dance:

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
I think that the 909 is a 9 weight rod? I have a 9010 that I bought for surf-casting flies to lake trout, (just before the dawn of graphite), and it can politely be termed a man-killer. I don't think that your Fenwick is the best option for a learner. It is heavy, slow, and way too much gun for most available fish. That's just my opinion.

·
Registered
657 Posts
That's a great rod. I was using that exact rod up to a year ago. Was my boat rod for salmon on the Chehalis. Works great, and can really toss a line well. You just have to learn how to use it properly. Doesn't load like graphites do. What I grew up fishing on. Still have a bunch of fenwicks. Nothing wrong with it, and a much better rod then some use today. So string him up and let him fish it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Those are wonderful rods. Like Steelheader69 said they don't load quite like the faster graphite rods out there but they sure are nice rods. Fiberglass is starting to make a comeback as well. I think we will see more in the future. So far Winston, Scott and Diamondback are all making high-end fiberglass rods.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts