IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The water intake on my kicker is long and spans both sides of the cavitation plate. Can I get sufficient water using muffs around the upper portion or am I going to be sucking air? Anyone else have this design? Motor is a 98 evinrude 8hp 2-stroke.

Thnx

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
The water intake on my kicker is long and spans both sides of the cavitation plate. Can I get sufficient water using muffs around the upper portion or am I going to be sucking air? Anyone else have this design? Motor is a 98 evinrude 8hp 2-stroke.

Thnx View attachment 952889
I'd say you need to put it in a garbage can. If there isn't a way to seal around (what I THINK I see as the opening) you'd be hard pressed to get water to the impellor.

I need to use a garbage can for my Merc 9.9. I have a couple of 4"x4"/ 6"x6" pieces of wood I put under the can and fill it. You can also put the tongue jack up as high as you can. The wood makes it easier when it's time to dump the water. Wiggle the wood out, drop the tongue, tilt the motor as you tip the can.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd say you need to put it in a garbage can. If there isn't a way to seal around (what I THINK I see as the opening) you'd be hard pressed to get water to the impellor.

I need to use a garbage can for my Merc 9.9. I have a couple of 4"x4"/ 6"x6" pieces of wood I put under the can and fill it. You can also put the tongue jack up as high as you can. The wood makes it easier when it's time to dump the water. Wiggle the wood out, drop the tongue, tilt the motor as you tip the can.
Yeah, the pic kinda sucks😎 Thanks for the input. I will go that route. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t making my life harder for no good reason. I’ve already spent quite a bit of time getting this boat ready for the water. This might be the week she gets wet though!! (Insert joke here)

Maybe we should wait until she gets wet before we insert anything. (Sorry, just too easy)

·
Registered
8,818 Posts
The problem with a can is that the water could stay in the can. Obiously it would dilute the salt, but it’s already diluted.

There are different types of muffs. Unless it’s an extremely unpopular outboard, you probably can find a model for it. Fyi, I used muffs for my Mercury 9.9.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same kind of shape on my 6hp johnson. I have been looking all over the place for a quick way to flush mine and have not found anything that works other than a bucket which is kind of a drag when your already tired after a long day on the water and just want to flush the motors really quick. I cannot for the life of me understand why they made the style like this without selling some sort of attachment that would work with it. I have heard of people using a couple of plungers and building something that you could hook up to a garden hose. I might have to 3d print something or machine something that might work.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the same kind of shape on my 6hp johnson. I have been looking all over the place for a quick way to flush mine and have not found anything that works other than a bucket which is kind of a drag when your already tired after a long day on the water and just want to flush the motors really quick. I cannot for the life of me understand why they made the style like this without selling some sort of attachment that would work with it. I have heard of people using a couple of plungers and building something that you could hook up to a garden hose. I might have to 3d print something or machine something that might work.
Please do let me know if you get a workable solution. I figured they had just made them that way so they could sell their proprietary muffs; at a steep premium of course. I was really surprised they had not thought about the need to flush the motor while designing🤨

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I use a different set of muffs for my kicker. The ones for my main motor have stretched out and don’t fit tight enough on the kicker.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I remember looking up info and this guy had a bunch of info on older motors. funny thing is that our motor isn't that old lol. Johnson i wonder if this style attachment wouldn't work with ours. only issue is will the water come out the top holes. maybe we need to plug those if we use something like this

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I remember looking up info and this guy had a bunch of info on older motors. funny thing is that our motor isn't that old lol. Johnson i wonder if this style attachment wouldn't work with ours. only issue is will the water come out the top holes. maybe we need to plug those if we use something like this
That does offer a good starting point. Plug those holes or split the garden hose and run a normal set of muffs around the upper intakes? Keep the setup (splitter to both flushers) in tact after use so there is only a single connection to make at the splitter after fishing.

Sounds like there’s a snowball’s chance of finding one of those from that mfg because it has been discontinued so long. Looks like a knockoff could be made from some goodies in the big box plumbing aisle though

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
I've seen plenty of rectangular muffs around, but I don't know if they're big enough for yours. Can't tell by the pic. Sorry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts