IFish Fishing Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Steelhead I carry two. One for Bobber, one for Drifting. Salmon in the boat. One for Bobber,one for back bouncing. In the boat drift boat or sled it’s easy to carry a extra rod or two. But beyond that it’s a waste of time. I’ve gone back to basics the last couple of years and my success rate has went way back up. You don’t have to have ALL the the latest and greatest and the most to be very successful. I know all the water I fish very well and the gear required to fish it successfully. The water you are fishing dictates what gear you need. Learn it and you will be a lot more successful. But do what you think you need to do. You put the right bait in front of Steelhead and Salmon and it’s game over. It’s been working for me for over 50 years. That being said always be open to new techniques and gear. Even an old dog can learn new tricks. I know I have. Tight lines :) 🇺🇸

Reactions: Fiskiller

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Being a bank maggot when it comes to Steelhead, one rod. When I thought I might try bobber fishing tried two but dumped that idea like a hot potato. I like to fish and walk and not go back to pick up what I set on the bank every time I move 20 feet.
This. It also sucks having to look over your shoulder every 30 seconds to make sure some *******’s not making off with your stuff while your nuts deep in water.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Salmon fishing in the boat, i keep an extra rod & reel set up with two or 3 of us fishing. Now sometimes when fishing Newport i'll have two set ups for bottom fishing, and 2 for salmon fishing two people. But bank fishing for steelies i've always used a vest and one rod while fishing. If i'm traveling to the coast i keep a spare in the truck.

When running my drift boat, i always had 3 rods in the boat. one set up for bobber, and one for drifting, and one that i'd rig with a plug...... But i sold the drift boat and those days are done unless i get an invite on someone else's boat. If i do that , id just take two rods. Kirk

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Steelhead fishing from the bank like you asked! I used to bring two. One for drift fishing the other for bobber. Always caught more drifting, so for the last few years just one. Someone should start another thread for something other than the initial question asked. 😂o_O

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I take 3 or 4 rods, as I don't yet own a rod that does ALL things equally as good for the traditional fishing techniques. Plus I buy alot of rods, so I guess I should use them.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Depends on where you fish. If you drive to hole and a set up shop for 3 hours take as many rods as you please. If your moving a lot or workI get long holes more than 1 can be a pain. I’d love to carry 2 more often but I’ve settled on one and can fish 5 techniques with it pretty easily. Being prepared before you head out makes it all easier.

·
Registered
523 Posts
So my buddy Dave laughs at me when we go steelhead fishing on the bank I bring four rods (Bobber rod,Drift rod ,Spinner/spoon rod , and back up) I mean to me its just easer to switch rods than to retie when I want to change it up. Heck I really could have one rod for spinner and one for spoon but four is enough. So how many is two many the back up rod stays in the truck normally unless we are hiking in I dont mind carrying the rods he just always laughs and ask if I am opening a tackle shop on the bank lol🤣
Always three, sometimes four. It can be a burden to pack out if you land a fish or two, but isn't that a good problem to have? Drift rod w/10 lb. Mono, Float rod w/ 20 lb. suffix, spinner rod w/15 lb. mono (more often then not when snagged you can bent a hook straight and get spinner back). Things that stay in truck to offset this are net, lunchbox, thermos, raincoat. I mean, we have three dogs and it would be unfathomable to imagine taking only one of them for a walk.

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
I probably have less than a hundred. If you only count the ones with reels and line on them. Probably.

When wading for bass I typically would carry two. Bank fishing, three or four. Boat fishing for salmon or walleye on my boat, twenty or so :)

Bank fishing salmon, probably three or so.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts