IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the end of a successful day on the Columbia we ended up with an extra summer run chinook for me to take home.

We had half of it for dinner tonight and I have to say that summer chinook was the very best salmon I have ever had, better than a sockeye, better than a copper river, better than a ocean coho or a springer.

I ate probably three or four pounds of fish, never even had a side dish.

I covered it with some "Lawrys sesame Ginger 30 munite marinade and BBQed it.

You haven't lived until you eat one of these babies......

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
You havnt lived until you've tried a warmwater roadspray, culvert raised, fecal-coliform fed carp David. Trade you 2:1?

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Everyday we have been out, someone has caught a fish. :cheers: We have guy out there that if you fillet a piece off your fish, he will cook it for you (for a chunk to eat.) I have never had such a wonderful eating fish, ever. You can't get it any fresher than pulling it out of the water and throwing it into a pan.

MMM,MMMM, GOOD!! :dance:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Lawry's sesame Ginger 30 minute marinade? Sounds delicious. :smile: If I ever catch a summer run, I'll give it a try. :depressed:

COTR: Better make it three fecal fed carp. :laugh:

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,157 Posts
I'll assume you were having a synapses miss-fire when you said it was better than ocean coho? Please, man. We are required to speak the truth here. Ocean coho is the top. It rules. :grin:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Another good BBQ marinade is Kikkoman's Roasted Sesame Teriyaki! ummmmmmmmmmmmmm....summer king.

·
Registered
22,364 Posts
Better than sockeye or ocean coho???? :hoboy: You don't fish much do ya David.? :shocked: Either that or it has been a long time since you have eaten the other pink meats. :wink: Good job on th limits. :cool:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
My favorite marinade is just olive oil, several cloves of fresh minced garlic, fresh minced onion, cayenne (or black) pepper, fresh thyme and a little soy if you like. I've added fresh or pickled jalapeno peppers and fresh grated ginger too.

Once you make your marinades from fresh ingredients, you will use the prepared dried less and less. Try it!
:cheers:

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I am sorry but I have to go with David on the one. NOTHING, including ocean coho, is better than chrome Spring or Summer Chinook. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Oh, but the fecal carp have just fixed that.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
How many carp would I have to give you for a trip out after a summer nook Grant? (underbid David and I'll book the trip today! :laugh: )

Ive never even seen a carp, but willierower keeps inviting me over for a carpBQ?

Its tough to beat coho...Im with STG on this one. BBQ in loose foil with spinach stuffing. Fresh spinach, think sliced leeks, sliced tomato seasoned bread crumbs, fresh garlic, dill weed, celery seed, tobasco, a pinch of parmesan cheese a bit of cream cheese and beer to bind the mixture. dont forget the butter, Cooked over the coals. Topped with holendaise. (homer tone: "mmm, caaarp...DOH!")

[ 07-11-2003, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Haven't had summer run chinook. But I'd have to say that a fresh, properly bled and cared for sockeye is hard to beat. Almost has the oil of a springer but in a firmer red flesh. I only catch ocean coho for smoking. I don't think they're all that. Better than fall chinook, steelhead and chum but nothing compared to sockeye or springer.

[ 07-11-2003, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Ramstrong ]

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
COTR,

When you do finally make it over for the carp BBQ bring a case of Blitz with ya

Seriously..........
When Grant finally gets his new boat Im thinking he and I should do a summer chinook trip. I want to get up there and try it but I dont have the right anchor or anyone that wants to go with me.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Ahh, so I should avoid willierowers "texas salmon soup" too eh bllelk?

Paul, quit eatin those fecalcarp and use em for an anchor!

Blitz? What, no MD 20/20? It cleanses the palate so well with filet-o-carp on a stick cooked over a can of sterno.

[ 07-11-2003, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
22,364 Posts
Grant, you just proved my point regarding David. You have'nt been fishing much lately either. NO BOAT??????? :wink:

·
Registered
869 Posts
It's lunch time and I'm hungry so my mouth is watering! All those recipes sound good. Give Rikki's Gourmet Soy Ginger dressing and marinade a try. I found it at Costco in the refrigerated section near the cheeses. GREAT STUFF!!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts