IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got home this evening after being gone for a week and the first thing I noticed when I walked in was a strange odor. I walked down to the basement and my bait freezer was dead. All of my smelt, shad and turkey were smelling pretty nasty. I was real proud of my collection and was really excited about putting it to use on the crabs but not anymore. Needless to say the wife is not all that happy about the situation. The TV shows always show the use of Vicks under the nose when they are looking at something dead, well let me tell you shad after a week in the warm freezer cut right through the Vicks and it was everything I could do to keep from blowing chunks.

Any ideas on how to get the smell out of the freezer, bleach doesn't seem to working that well? That is unless it just takes time to go away.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hey Fisherman, If it is dead why don't you just get rid of it instead of clean it out to smell good again? I haven't had good luck getting the permiated smell out of the seals personnally so can't

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a friend who has a business that has a chemical that he uses to take care of the smell, it works very well. Just had a problem with a animal with one of out clients. The stench is gone. If you want his number let me know.

[ 08-02-2003, 03:08 AM: Message edited by: lucky man ]

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
The freezer would likely work pretty well itself for crab bait. That may be the best use for it.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Use 1 cup vinegar to one gallon of water and scrub interior with non abrazive sponge or pad. rinse out then wash in joy or dawn. This will remove the smell from the liner in your freezer.
Repeat the vinegar scrub down if neccesary but should work first time. Say 10 mins or so of good elbow action then apply the liquid soap/water!
Good luck.

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,254 Posts
You might also try dishwasher detergent. It has the bleach in it and will take grease out of anything. Use it full strength like cleanser, but wear gloves, it's hard on your hands.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
I've been able to get some nasty smells out of things by using coffee grounds. Take used coffee grounds, put them into a bowl, and put them in the freezer. Might need to change them out a few times, but it really works. I've gotten smells out of things when liberal amounts of bleach would not.

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
If the other ideas here do not work, TSP should get it done. Wear rubber gloves if you use it.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'd find out how much it's going to cost to "undead" the freezer. Some of these house calls, parts, and labor will run you more than a new freezer. The economy is hurting, a lot of good sales out there. No interest for a year, discounts, etc. Might not be worth saving. :hoboy:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Delightful isn't it! I'm with Fshklr, use vinegar. I used vinegar full strength on an igloo that I was going to throw away and it worked so well that I kept the cooler! Good Luck! sal

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
I had a simalir experiance, my 5 year old grandaughter unplugged the freezer and we went camping for 15 days to michigan and it was full of beef elk and deer and two halibit I cried and that was to years ago and it still smells a bit and I tried all the above de- smelling agents

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
After you clean or sterilize it, wipe it down with vanilla extract. That has got rid of the stink for me before.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts