IFish Fishing Forum banner
101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Isn't that the point? An all-above approach? Why not celebrate the success vs being cynical?

I worked in the industry for years... and some information on power generation is so wrong, I haven't even bothered touching the subject.

Renewable energy is here to stay, because the market says so. In most locations in the country renewable energy is the cheapest source of energy. Even cheaper than natural gas. Sorry, but that is the truth. These jobs are 100% blue collar good paying jobs, not really sure where the hate is coming from. The only holdouts either don't have very good wind resources or are fighting developers every step of the way.

As for offshore... Pretty sure I've seen boats basically fishing under the turbines at Block Island. The ocean is a big place, I think there is room for all of us. I'd the proposed location encroaches on our fishing areas, three optimist in me says we'll be able to come to a resolution.

·
Registered
Salt water addict
4,601 Posts
"On a mild Sunday afternoon, California set a historic milestone in the quest for clean energy. The sun was shining, the wind was blowing and on May 8th, the state produced enough renewable electricity to meet 103% of consumer demand. "

Now let's see it go for more than a couple hours on a mild weather day when demand is low. The article said they were building battery banks for storage so they can shut down their fossil fuel plants when the sun goes down. I'd suggest ESS Tech for that. Give the share price a boost.
Couldn't agree more !

How about let's see it on a record heat day when it's life or death for some.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Renewable energy is here to stay, because the market says so.
It's here to stay because certain elements of the government continue to subsidize it at ridiculous levels.

In most locations in the country renewable energy is the cheapest source of energy. Even cheaper than natural gas.
Define cheaper. Do you mean the subsidized, tax incentivized cost is less, yep, probably so. But, if they'd quit tying the Milk Bone of subsidies around the ugly child's neck, the cost comparison becomes a bit more realistic. It's certainly cheaper when you ignore the true, unsubsidized capital costs, and ignore the cost and environmental impact of disposal of the equipment when it reaches the end of its useful mechanical life.

These jobs are 100% blue collar good paying jobs, not really sure where the hate is coming from.
Would those be the short term jobs during construction, or the comparatively miniscule number of jobs maintaining the systems that have an economic life that is shorter than their amortized life?

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
"On a mild Sunday afternoon, California set a historic milestone in the quest for clean energy. The sun was shining, the wind was blowing and on May 8th, the state produced enough renewable electricity to meet 103% of consumer demand. "

Now let's see it go for more than a couple hours on a mild weather day when demand is low. The article said they were building battery banks for storage so they can shut down their fossil fuel plants when the sun goes down. I'd suggest ESS Tech for that. Give the share price a boost.
So lets unplug California from the hydro/fossil fuel power grid if it works so well. I think the comparison is like saying my truck gets 80 mpg going down hill so it must be efficient. We seem to forget when comparing other nations and their power production that profit is made with wind and solar because the alternative is imported oil to run gen sets. And my guess is their power demands are less than ours; remember when power companies paid you to go all electric when building your home. My assumption is both wind and solar costs are not being fully tabulated. From what I know the wind units are having problems reaching their expected life term and maintenance costs are extreme. Maybe thats why they are being taken down and hauled away to be replaced with newer units. I'm hanging my hat towards alternative energy has a lot of creative accounting going in order to move this idea along.

·
Registered
Salty fishing all the way.
184 Posts
Isn't that the point? An all-above approach? Why not celebrate the success vs being cynical?

I worked in the industry for years... and some information on power generation is so wrong, I haven't even bothered touching the subject.

Renewable energy is here to stay, because the market says so. In most locations in the country renewable energy is the cheapest source of energy. Even cheaper than natural gas. Sorry, but that is the truth. These jobs are 100% blue collar good paying jobs, not really sure where the hate is coming from. The only holdouts either don't have very good wind resources or are fighting developers every step of the way.

As for offshore... Pretty sure I've seen boats basically fishing under the turbines at Block Island. The ocean is a big place, I think there is room for all of us. I'd the proposed location encroaches on our fishing areas, three optimist in me says we'll be able to come to a resolution.

A lot of this is not factual. They are not cheaper by any means, then a combined cycle Natural gas/stem turbine. Maybe they are if you figure a 20yr lifespan (which has proven not even close to reality) with no major breakages, and full govt subsidies. Also the wind farm I worked at was expecting a 100% generator replacement within the first 15 years, along with other major failures, ie. gearboxes, main bearings ect., that all add to the daily operating cost of a plant. There was a reason there was about a 6 year dry spell of wind turbine construction, the renewable tax credits ran out, and they were so far from profitable no one was building. The 10 years I was in wind we had more years that were at a loss than, were profitable.

Pretty sure its not a success to say look at all the companies building green energy, but wait the govt said they had to have green in their portfolio or you get penalized.

101 - 110 of 110 Posts